No announcement yet.

FYI -- Shadow Copies and DCPROMO

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FYI -- Shadow Copies and DCPROMO

This one kept me busy all day, so I thought I'd share it with you....

I had a server with volume shadow copies set up and running OK, and no issues reported in event logs. When it came to a problem which I thought I could deal with by restoring a previous version, I found the copies had not been made for several weeks (oh sh*t moment). Manual shadow copies worked fine... Eventually I found the task scheduler log reported "The attempt to retrieve account information for the specified task failed" and didnt bother to provide any more obvious alerts to a problem.

After some research, I tracked down the issue at

Basically, if you DCPROMO a server after setting up scheduled shadow copies, it will fail in this way -- the advice is to DCPROMO first, then set up VSC. Setting up a new schedule still fails but manual shadow copies work without problems. Fortunately the MS workaround (delete the crypto files in All Users) worked, but there were some (mainly mine) and a lot of cursing yesterday.

Thank God for backups....

Last edited by biggles77; 1st April 2007, 07:39. Reason: Fixed one spelling error :)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: FYI -- Shadow Copies and DCPROMO

Nice. Will try it on a Server I am having VSS problems with when I am next on site. Never chased a fix as time never permitted. If this works, it shall be a large single malt when you visit OZ.
    Departed: 23rd December 2015