Windows XP SP2 problems - Post here

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP SP2 problems - Post here

Use this thread to post any Windows XP SP2 related problem you've got or heard of, and there seems to be quite a bit of them.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Problem with Nokia PC Suit

XP on my Compaq Presario 2500 2521EU laptop computer. I've installed SP2 RTM.

After installing it, my Nokia 6230 cell phone stopped working as a IR modem, and now I can only see it as a remote computer. Removing SP2 did not help, reverting to a XP SP1 ghost image did the trick.

I'm using the latest Nokia PC Suit (6.2).

Any insights on this?
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

After installing SP2 over SP1, it will screw up your IIS. I had to reinstall IIS but it didn't work right either. I am positive this is a real bug because we already tested it on 50 clients. 10 clients with no SP, IIS survives the update. 40 clients with SP1 ( test separatedly ), got IIS screw up.

Maybe you'll ask why run IIS on XP client. the answer is we have ASP.Net classes here and every client needs IIS in order to run ASP script.

Later on when I have time to go in details of system logs and event error ID, I'll post it
      Teamwork

Comment

Re: Windows XP SP2 problems - Post here

After installing SP2, applications that access large files over the network deliver only one tenth of normal throughput. See article XP/SP2: network file operations are slow, slow, slow ...

Comment

XP SP2

After installing SP2, applications that access large files over the network deliver only one tenth of normal throughput. See article XP/SP2: network file operations are slow, slow, slow ...
          I have experienced this issue through the 802.11 Ad-Hoc connection (Peer to Peer). Connecting a XPSP2 -> XPSP1 Box really bogged down the SP2 Box, even after the connection was terminated. On the SP2 box I had to restore the OS to SP1 and re-install SP2 to resolve. I tested this procedure on several different SP2 boxes connecting to multiple SP1 boxes and the same problem resulted. [/quote]

Comment

Originally posted by azmantek
            After installing SP2 over SP1, it will screw up your IIS. I had to reinstall IIS but it didn't work right either. I am positive this is a real bug because we already tested it on 50 clients. 10 clients with no SP, IIS survives the update. 40 clients with SP1 ( test separatedly ), got IIS screw up.

Maybe you'll ask why run IIS on XP client. the answer is we have ASP.Net classes here and every client needs IIS in order to run ASP script.

Later on when I have time to go in details of system logs and event error ID, I'll post it
            Does the same happen when you do a clean SP2 install instead of XP SP1 and then SP2 after the apps have been installed?
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I had issue with XP SP2 RTM when installed using Unattended mode on Dell OptiPlex desktop PC. Everything work fine except for those that requires WMI. Running WMIC on DOS prompt return error stating WMI database corrupted. Also obtain similar error when running System Information.

I don't have these problem if the installation was done thru the normal method.

Comment

Working...
              X