No announcement yet.

Site without Domain Controller

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Site without Domain Controller

Hi All,

I am newbie to this forum. I got a question from my friend and I also don't know how to do it.

There are three sites in windows 2003 domain. Two site have domain controllers and one site don't have domain controller. User complaint from without DC environment that their log on to domain is slow. Link between sites are most reliable and fast.
    And how can we improve log on process to domain from the site without DC. And what I wanna know is that can I configure site without DC?

thanks in advance!!!

With Regards

Re: Site without Domain Controller

check out Cached Universal Group Memberships:

Hope this helps.

Michael Armstrong
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Doesn't seem an awful lot of point setting up a site without a domain controller... that's what sites are for...?

For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

The clients may be seeking a DC in a site that they have a poor connection to.
        My advice would be to leave AD with 2 sites. I assume there is one site with a DC that is directly connected thru a WAN link to the DC'less site. The subnet for the remote location should be associated with the geographic site that has the fastest connection.

Lets be ludicris (sp) to make the point. Assume the site A has a DC and is the "hub" in the WAN, with a T# to site B. B has no DC. SIte C has a DC, but is in a backwater town in Egypt, with a 56K connection to site A. If site B has no subnets in AD associated with AD site A, the clients may look for DC's in Egypt.

Originally posted by kid.scorpion
          Link between sites are most reliable and fast.
          No poor connection according to the OP Foze.
          Departed: 23rd December 2015