Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating an IIS Cluster

Hello.

In my new job i was asked to build a windows 2003 SP2 IIS Cluster (Failover, Active/Passive).

So i ask you for your expertise concerning things that i need to know, so this project looks good.

I'm on Microsoft (technet/msdn) but there no much information concerning clustering and less (for no says that nothing) about an ISS Cluster.

Course all this I'M supposing that is a thing that i could build, but if not which are my options.

I just need an web application that need redundancy.

Regards and Thank you.
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return.

Leonardo da Vinci

Re: Creating an IIS Cluster

Hello
    For IIS it is better to do NLB (Network Load Balancing) than clustering, NBL will give you a redundancy and more power because everything is active and load balanced, if you look for NLB in technet you will find lots of information.

Thank you.
    MCP, MCSA+messaging, MCDBA, OCA.

Comment

Depends if the website data is static or dynamic. I would still stick with NLB for Static content and clustering for dynamic. The following article may help:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro.../webclust.mspx

Michael
      Michael Armstrong
      www.m80arm.co.uk
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Excellent guys, really helpful

I will read the articles, keep coming if there more.

Best Regards
        When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return.

Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

After reading a Lot, an continuing doing so; I will opt for a NLB Cluster for IIS.

Somebody can point me to a How to for Windows 2003?

right now I'm reading the last 2 manuals that i found on my P2P.

One is called :

Module 8 : Concepts of a Network Load Balancing Cluster

and other one is

Chapter 8 (don't ask me of what) Designing Network Load Balancing.

I'm already read the Network Load Balancing topic on the mastering windows 2003 server book.

Regards

Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

OK guys, i begun the installation, but after read those manual i have some doubts.

My first doubt is, as i have the opportunity to put all the IIS file in a SAN Partition (LUN) i supposed that this LUN will be seen by my two nodes?, right?

The SAN configuration will no make for me of course.

What things should I move to the SAN Partition?? Just inetput???

Other thing is the active/passive cluster you need some NIC for the heartbeat of the servers, in the NLB Clusters if not need it?

Regards

Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Originally posted by Nehemoth View Post
              My first doubt is, as i have the opportunity to put all the IIS file in a SAN Partition (LUN) i supposed that this LUN will be seen by my two nodes?, right?
              Only if you put it on shared disk and even then the LUN will be visible only on the node that currently owns the shared disk resource
              What things should I move to the SAN Partition?? Just inetput???
              You will also need a LUN for QUORUM. If you need to run something that requires MS DTS, the DTS logs will also be put on the shared disk.

Other thing is the active/passive cluster you need some NIC for the heartbeat of the servers, in the NLB Clusters if not need it?
              You can get away with a single NIC on each node, but you are tossing the whole concept of a cluster - redundancy. In this case, getting into "split-brain" cluster is a matter of seconds. Do not do it.
              In either case (NLB and MCS - Microsoft Clustering Services) you WANT to have 2 NICs on each cluster node. Interconnect NIC should be dedicated for heartbeat.

In any case, if you ask me, unless you have very specific requirement, there is no point in clustering IIS using MCS. NLB is the way to go. IIS is not really cluster-aware service and you end up with a resource of "generic script" type that makes sure IIS service is running on the active node. No more, no less.

The only reason I can think of for clustering IIS using MCS is when you have additional clustered services running on the nodes, like SQL and you want to make sure that the web application is running always on the node that is running the instance of the SQL.

Can I ask what are the requirements ? I hardly doubt that clustered IIS is the right way to go...
              Guy Teverovsky
              "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

This is a Mess, first i was thinking in create a Cluster for IIS but everybody including microsoft told that is not recommended, later go for NLB but i can see that i need a program for synchronize or something like that.

Anyway now, I'M back to a cluster for the IIS stuff.

What i need is just create this for our intranet, actually running in just one old server, but i don't wanna to have an idle server all time doing nothing.

So still any advices will be great appreciate, Regards guys.

====================

I said before that was active/active, forget that.

Can somebody please help me find information of how to make a Windows 2003 enterprise SP2 cluster (Active/Passive) for IIS or can i just follow any cluster installation procedure??

Gracias
                Last edited by Nehemoth; 12th April 2007, 20:35.

Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro....mspx?mfr=true
                  VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
                  boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
                  My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Hmmm That just for the managing and also for an upgrade from IIS 5 to 6, but actually this will be a new cluster, just installed windows 2003 SP2 in both nodes.

Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Try this, there's 2 pages:
                      http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,1...2124314,00.htm
                      VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

Comment

You can also try this step by step for clustering IIS 4 which will be fairly close.

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles...5371.html?Ad=1

Comment

Oh my god, i remember that two weeks ago i was at that ZDnet site.

Jason i truly appreciate your help.

Thank you.

Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Working...
                          X