Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2003 - DNS stops responding, no errors in the event logs

Hi Everyone,

I got such an annoying problem i wanna scream!

I've got this SBS 2003 setup (although I wouldn't think it's related to SBS hence why I'm posting here) and sometimes the DNS just stops responding to recursive queries.

It's very intermittent and it can run perfectly fine for a week and then strike twice in the same day.

When frozen, I go to the monitoring tab under the DNS management console and run both tests. The local test passes and the recursive one fails. Restarting the DNS service brings it back to life instantly.

There are absolutely no errors in any of the event logs. I turned on the DNS debugging option but that didn't really help me either. By the way, i'm using 3 forwarders provided by the ISP.

Things i've already tried:

1) Clearing the Cache.
    2) Replacing the root zone file.

Answers to questions i've heard before about this:

1) I don't have an external zone configured on my DNS server. I only have .local zones.
    2) I'm using only 1 network card. I do have another one installed but it is disabled. All traffic goes through one NIC.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tamir.
    Melbourne - Australia

Re: Server 2003 - DNS stops responding, no errors in the event logs

When this DNS problem happens can you ping either name or IP to and from any workstations & Server ?

Do you have a gateway ?
    The Univurse is still winning!

W2K AD, WSUS, RIS 2003. ISA also AVG Server
    ** If contributors help you, recognise them and give reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Where does your server point for DNS???

It should point to it's self.

Are your forwarders on-line when this happens??

What happens if you un-install DNS then re-install it??

Comment

Hi,

Here are some answers:

1) For the first reply - yes i can ping anything inside the network. As I said, local dns queries work. Recursive ones don't.

2) My server is pointing to itself but to it's own IP address i.e. 10.0.0.10 and not 127.0.0.1. I'm under the impression that this is best practice.

3) What do you mean by forwarders being online? I'm using ISP DNS server as forwarders so i'm assuming they are online, otherwise everyone would complain. Also, if I restart the DNS service, it just comes back instantly.

4) I haven't tried uninstalling and reinstalling DNS. The main reason is that I wasn't sure whether my SBS box is going to really appreciate it... It has exchange and AD on it. Is reinstalling DNS on an SBS box straight forward or it's more complicated than that?

Thanks for the replies,

Tamir.

Comment

Your server and all the stations should point to your SBS for DNS. You should have DHCP on your SBS configuring this. If DHCP is on your gateway/router turn it OFF. Run the CEICW (internet connection wizard) and in the network section tell it you have only one nic and put in (two of) your ISP's DNS IP's.
          If you are still having problems rerun the wizard leaving the ISP DNS's blank ( it will then use root servers)
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Hi Everyone,

Just updating that I have ran the internet connection wizard and confirmed that my setup is just like the last post. It was like that.

I have also ran the RRAS wizrd because someone else on another forum advised me to do so.

I'm starting to suspect my router... By then why would restarting the DNS server service fix everything... Weird.

next step would be to remove the forwarders and let the server use the root zone server.

Does anyone know if uninstalling and reinstalling DNS on an SBS server should be a complicated task?

Thanks,

Tamir.

Comment

Working...
            X