What is the purpose of a domain?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the purpose of a domain?

I join this company four years ago with only 30 PC’s in a peer-to-peer workgroup network with one subnet. After three years we have ballooned up to 300 PC’s and devices, with 4 subnets, and for awhile I’ve pushed to have a domain. My supervisor said “Why? Everything is running just fine.” However, I found it difficult to maintain the PC’s on the entire network. Every PC had a different username, passwords, workgroups, and some local admin password where different. It was becoming a nightmare.

It wasn’t until the President of the company asked “I only want my daughter to have access to My Folders on my PC”. I told her well actually everyone has access to your PC. PC’s where set to Everyone group with Full Control permissions. She freaked.

I said that’s it, I’m going to take my own initiative to build a Microsoft Domain using Active Directory. Since we had Windows 2003 server with Exchange 2003 I decided to add computers to the domain.

IP Address: 192.168.1.14
    Domain Name: greatbay.local
    DNS: 192.168.1.14
    WINS: 192.168.1.14, 192.168.1.108
    DHCP: 192.168.1.14

I love it. I’ve built GPO’s, built permission sets in groups, e-mail’s account work much better, our Symantec Corporate Anti-Virus works much better and other software application work now because of the domain environment.

The question is… What is the purpose of a domain?
    Every time I walk up to a user’s desk and say “You’re next, I’m putting you on a domain”, they ask “What’s that? Is it gonna speed up my computer?” I tell them “It’s to help us manage the network.”

In addition, I tell them “You’ll have one username and password throughout the company, in order for people to have access to our network they’ll have to be authenticated.”

What do I tell them in layman terms?
    Last edited by joopdog; 19th March 2007, 19:19.

Re: What is the purpose of a domain?

http://kb.iu.edu/data/aoup.html

That will help.

In laymans terms i just decsribe it a a group of small computers that are controlled by a group of bigger computers and you control all the computers.

Comment

Sounds like you've answered your own question. What you describe is the general reason domains (in the Windows Active directory sense) exist. There are all kinds of "useful" bits they help us do but fixing your logon / security / access nightmare is the core benefit.
      Last edited by rvalstar; 19th March 2007, 16:01. Reason: (in the Windows Active directory sense)
      Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

© 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Active Directory Integrated Domain: ***CENTRALIZED ADMINISTRATION***

Comment

You need a new supervisor or a new job.
          “Why? Everything is running just fine.” LOL
          That made my day. Thank you.
          MCP, MCSA+messaging, MCDBA, OCA.

Comment

Originally posted by hyeongkim View Post
            You need a new supervisor or a new job.
            “Why? Everything is running just fine.” LOL
            That made my day. Thank you.
            Reported to Admins.

Tom
            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

In layman's terms, this is what I tell people, when I setup a domain with roaming profiles:
              • It's more secure.
              • You can logon to any computer anywhere in the building and your desktop will follow you to that computer.
              • If your laptop or PC gets stolen, you can buy a new one, connect back up to the domain and all your documents and desktop magically come back and you don't lose all your work.
              • When you need to change your password, you can do it yourself without needing a network administrator to change it on the server too.

And if I'm deploying SBS, they have to listen to me going on and on about all the nice new features they'll benefit from until it's way past teatime...
              Best wishes,
              PaulH.
              MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Originally posted by PaulH View Post
                In layman's terms, this is what I tell people, when I setup a domain with roaming profiles:
                • It's more secure. ...
                • Yes
                • You can logon to any computer anywhere in the building and your desktop will follow you to that computer....
                Yes but the desktop will not follow unless you set up roaming profiles - not always a good thing.
              • If your laptop or PC gets stolen, you can buy a new one, connect back up to the domain and all your documents and desktop magically come back and you don't lose all your work....
              Yes again, only if you setup a desktop redirection policy
            • When you need to change your password, you can do it yourself without needing a network administrator to change it on the server too....
            • Yes

And if I'm deploying SBS, they have to listen to me going on and on about all the nice new features they'll benefit from until it's way past teatime...[/QUOTE]
              Now you're talking
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              I’m honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We don’t stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

If you have Exchange, you already have a domain, you're just adding computers to it.

Tell the users -- less hassle, then watch the problems with profiles after moving from WG to domain!

Tom
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                  If you have Exchange, you already have a domain, you're just adding computers to it.

Tell the users -- less hassle, then watch the problems with profiles after moving from WG to domain!

Tom
                  You're exactly right Ossian.

I explained to users we've always had a DOMAIN. That their email was part of the domain, now I'm just adding computers to the domain.

Many user have said "I don't asked for a login when I open Outlook". I tell them "That's because you're already authenticated when you login into your computer."

The profiles was a hassle. I copied the local user profile to the default, then logged in with the domain username. Less hassle.

Thanks everyone for all you're help.

As for my supervisor, he's seeing the benefits of having a domain. The network is becoming easier to manage. I tell him, everyone has one username and one password throughout the entire network. And he loves the benefits of the Group Policy. We've tighten down internet, screensavers, wallpapers and more. He loves it.

Again thanks for all your input.

Comment

everyone has one username and one password throughout the entire network.
                    This is true until you add a couple of third-party applications to your services; people are STILL writing applications which are not AD aware. Which means that they'll have to log in to their workstation and then log in to their application.

If, when your business ask you to provide a service on the network, you recommend "AD Aware" applications, you won't get this issue - i.e. the user's current access token will also get them into the app.

Tom
                    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

• Working...
                      X