System State Backup vs. Replication via DCPROMO

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System State Backup vs. Replication via DCPROMO

What would be the use of System State Backup if you have a forest that you can force the replication after doing the DCPROMO?

Thank you & more power Petri.co.il!
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP

Ordinary Human in an Extra Ordinary World....

Re: System State Backup vs. Replication via DCPROMO

Your system state backup is more that just AD though.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true

Comment

Thank you so much for the reply.

From your standpoint, do you think you need to restore the System System in a forest environment or are you going to force the replication to get all the objects?

Thank you!
      MCSA, MCDST, MCP

Ordinary Human in an Extra Ordinary World....

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean.

I always have a system state backup and a secondary DC for backup and fault tolerance purposes.

Restoring a system state backup will depend on what the server was or is. If the server is vitally important then i would restore from a system state. If it wasn't then i'd build from scratch and replicate from another DC.

Comment

We take System State Backups of ALL our servers (separately on Domain Controllers) plus we have two staggered 7-day "Lag Sites"; which replicate once every 14 days. (one on day 0 and one on day 7). That way we basically get 14 days to recover any AD data which is lost as a result of some painful disaster, and we can recover registries and so on on other servers which fail.

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Working...
          X