Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mssql

Hello all!

Does anyone know how to MANUALLY install the Microsoft SQL service? I installed a program Web Watch Bot (server monitoring tool) and it deleted MSSQL service from registry and there is no way to run SQL???!

Im using SQL server 2000....

Please advise!

Thanks!

Re: Mssql

anyone?

Do I have to reinstall the MSSQL server?

Comment

24 minutes and you bump it, you gotta be kidding me.

Also need lots more info about your setup. Post and wait for an answer.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

sorry for the bumb, this thing is urgent....

This server is a domain controller, has AD on it, MSSQL 2000, Exchange 2003...

And now it has no SQL server INSTANCE, because monitoring software "deleted it"...

What precise info you need?

U name it, u get it...

Thanks!

Comment

huh my next idea is to manually set the registry entries, that are used for MSSQL service instance...

Has anyone a copy of what should this registy entries look like?

Comment

From CMD, run SC CREATE for syntax

I only run named instances so I'm gonna guess at a little bit of this as I'm assuming you were running the default instance.

Find your SQL Server directory and note the name of the MSSQL$???? sub directory. Make sure that dir has binn underneath it.

You'll need to do a:

SC create MSSQL$???? binPath="?:\...\sqlservr.exe" start=auto

There are a bunch of command line options for sqlservr.exe. On my named instances, the service includes a " -s????" at the end of the binPath -- everything to the right of the $ in the dir name. For WSS, I have:

C:\SQLSER~1\MSSQL$~1\binn\sqlservr.exe -sWSS

Don't know if the 8.3 naming is key but do note that's what gets specified for SQL Server.

Then you can go in and edit the Log on account, etc.
            Last edited by rvalstar; 13th March 2007, 16:04. Reason: path for my WSS SQL Server service
            Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Yes, I`m running default instance...

How would command SC look like for defualt instance?

My binn path is like: "D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Binn\sqlservr.exe"

This is correct right?

Comment

Then I'd try:

Code:
                SC create MSSQL binPath= "D:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\MSSQL\Binn\sqlservr.exe" start= auto
                Unless you had a special account you recall to run the service under, you can specify the Local SYSTEM afterwards
                Last edited by rvalstar; 13th March 2007, 16:35. Reason: added spaces after options
                Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

I get the following screen:

This is not good is it?

Or I have to reboot my PC?

Comment

Looking at it, put a space between the binPath= and the "

Also, fix the space before .exe

And add a space after start=
                    Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Doing it right now...

Will post results after few server restarts

Comment

Huh, this is a NO-GO...

I guess it deleted the Default INSTANCE too....

Damn, how can I get back the default instance? Do I have to reinstall SQL server??

And if I have to, are the databases in MDF and LDF format enough to backup?

Thanks!

Comment

I find it hard to believe "monitoring" SW did this. Must have done something else.

What kind of backups do you have? I'm used to BBF files in the BACKUP directory. MDF, LDF are from the Data directory -- these backed up live or cold?
                          Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Hello again..

After a long time of thinking, I realized that I had 2 days old mirrored disk right in front of my nose

So I took the old disk, booted from it, and replace all data that changed since 2 days ago (Exchange database, MSSQL datafiles and databases, saved invoices etc...)

So now its all up and running...

And I`m 1000% sure that monitoring SW did it, because I copied EVERY single bit, that changed since Sunday EXCEPT this monitoring SW files...

Everything working now, tahnks rvalstar for beeing patient and helpful!!

Comment

Glad it all worked out. Looked like you were in real trouble there.

Monitoring software that deletes services and files just doesn't sound right.

Care to share what monitoring software this was or would you prefer not to?
                              Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X