• Win2003 server does not recognize my 4GB RAM

Hello

We have a DELL power Edge 1800
    WE Add 2 GB and now we have 4 GB of ram
    The bios and open manager (dell software) recognise 4096 GB

but at the windows system i only read 3.25 GB

I read a lot about , the/3GB swich and the /pae

i read this question a year ago at this forum but i still haven't answer

Can be a bios update problem or a windows issue?
    because is our file server i can't do shutdown for every guess i need an answer

Thank you

Re: Win2003 server does not recognize my 4GB RAM

From what i can remember the /3GB switch allows applications to use up to 3GB if they are coded for it.

The /PAE switch is probably the one you want to try.

This should be added to your boot.ini file.

[Boot Loader]
    Timeout=30
    Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT
    [Operating Systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microso ft Windows 2000 Advanced Server" /fastdetect /PAE

Comment

Choriso, have a search of the site as there is a thread about this exact some thing. Posters were danielp and biggles77 and it was about 2 years ago. If you can't find it, I will try and find time to search for it tomorrow. I need to dash and get some brave sleep as I have a dentist appointment early in the morning.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Never thought I'd see that issue in a server OS lol. See people ask about it a lot concerning 32-bit versions of XP / Vista.
        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

The 3.25GB is by design. The actual reason has to do with available memory address space. A 32bit OS can address only 2^32 or in memory 4096 MB or 4.096GB of address space. HOWEVER some of the address space is reserved for other things that use memory in the system. This includes, BIOS, Video memory, buffers, etc. Depending on your bios, you can sometimes see the reserved address range and it's in the upper 4GB.

Using the PAE switch will usually allow remapping for hardware addressing to above the 16GB line. If your systems hardware doesn't support PAE it won't work. Contact Dell to find out if it does.

Every 32bit OS has this issue without hardware to work around it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605/en-us

Read this... Server 2003 is similar, I believe this is where Vista gets it.
          Last edited by ahinson; 13th March 2007, 23:41.
          Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X