No announcement yet.

Windoes 2003 logon

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windoes 2003 logon

Hello guys!

Here is the thingie... At home I have Win2003 server and on it, there are 2 VmWare machines... One is Smoothwall firewall and second Win2003 with exchange and as a domain controller (experimenting...)

So since I have no UPS, and when the power goes down I always get the annoying message "Windows has been shut down unexpectedly bla bla bla"... Until I don`t enter reason and click OK, it won`t do Autologon...

Do you know how to disable this?

Last edited by gregaSLO; 9th March 2007, 08:57.

Re: Windoes 2003 logon

Check out the following:

I can't remember if it's just when you shutdown / restart the server or if it's the same app that deals with unexpected shutdowns. No hard in trying.

Michael Armstrong
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

And here's the MS link on the same:

You could also try it via the registry: or

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Reliability

Although that one is for WXP specifically, it may work on W2K3 -- haven't tried

Here's more than you ever wanted to know about Shutdown Event Tracker Tools and Settings:

And finally, How Shutdown Event Tracker Works:

EDIT: It does control the popup after an unexpected shutdown:

Shutdown Event Tracker (Unexpected Shutdown) Dialog Box
      When an unexpected shutdown occurs the user is not given the opportunity to perform the shutdown in a normal manner, and the Shut Down Windows (expected shutdown) dialog box does not appear at the time of shutdown. Instead, the Shutdown Event Tracker (unexpected shutdown) dialog box appears to the first person with the Shutdown the system user right or with administrative credentials who logs on to the computer after the restart or shutdown. Like the Shut Down Windows (expected shutdown) dialog box, it prompts this user to supply a reason and a comment for the shutdown.
      Last edited by rvalstar; 9th March 2007, 10:13.

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Read them bot, that did the trick!

Spend $50 on a cheap UPS. At some stage it is going to save you a lot of reinstall time when your systems files become corrupt.
          Departed: 23rd December 2015