No announcement yet.

Join Network from Home

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Join Network from Home

I have a Windows SBS 2003 running an Active Directory Domain Environment, How do I join my computer at home to the domain?

Re: Join Network from Home

IIRC, it'd have to be networked in one fashion or another with the server. Then again, it'd need that for day to day communication anyway.

A better question to ask is WHY do you want to do this? Do they need to communicate with the SBS server each day, or once in a while?
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

We have about 20 users that are in our office, but we have about 3 that work from home, and they still need to log onto the domain, and be able to access the exchange server in their outlook and the rest of the resources.

You can enable Routing and Remote Service on the SBS and connect using a VPN connection. Though it would be better if the 3 of you have a fixed IP at home so as to restrict the connections to only those 3 IPs. as long as you do not want to implement IPSec.

sounds good!
          can you give me a few pointers on how to do that?
          what ports do I need open on my firewall?
          besides RAS do I need to install anything else on my server?

What kind of router do you have? If you have good VPN routers like Cisco ASA 5505 or Juniper 5GT etc you can create a VPN between your home and office easily and then simply join your domain from your house. Takes like 30 min to accomplish this or may be less.

We are just running Windows Server 2003 thru a Firebox Firewall,
              the Firewall is the router, and has poor VPN
              I would just need to open ports on the router, and use the Server for VPN

One :
                Open ports 80, 443 and 1723 on your firewall box
                Run the CEICW wizard. then the VPN wizard (All in Server Management/ToDo List)
                You could then create a Connection diskette on one of your workstations in the office. Or then just connect via a VPN connectoid from th ehome computer and join the domain in the Regular (non-SBS) way.

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.