Can't open data connection on FTP Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't open data connection on FTP Server

I just recently posted about setting up a server. My friend and I have been able to host a website and set up remote desktop access, but we can't get the FTP server to work. We want to be able to read and write. Inside the network this works, but when I try to access it outside the network I receive an "Alert! 425 Can't open data connection." I can click ok and view the contents with a web browser, but it won't allow me to write anything. When I use a ftp program like filezilla it just doesn't connect at all. It can't retrieve the directory list. I have forwarded port 21 on the router and in the firewall. I know it's not the firewall because I have turned it completely off to test. Are there other ports or am I just doing something wrong?

Re: Can't open data connection on FTP Server

Try forwarding port 20 as well!

ftp-data 20/tcp File Transfer [Default Data]
    ftp-data 20/udp File Transfer [Default Data]
    ftp 21/tcp File Transfer [Control]
    ftp 21/udp File Transfer [Control]
    http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

If what Michael suggested doesn't work, post a screen shot of the FTP permissions page.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

If the server is accepting connections and the ports have been handled you should at the very least get a challenge to login.

What are you using as an FTP client? Whatever it is, turn off PASV and try it again.
        Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X