learn about 2003 or installing a site

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• learn about 2003 or installing a site

Hi, I am a new programmer in a small company. I need to learn fast how to make a site work. I have developed a (working) site on my XP Home VS2005. We just got a new server HP ProLiant350 that uses Win2003 IIS6. I tried but didn't succeeded doing it. Can you help me find a tutorial to learn quickly how to do that?

If it is simple to answer I will be happy to get your response here.
    The steps I took are:
    coping the entire site (written in asp.NET) to the folder
    c:/inetpub/wwwroot
    Adding the site to the IIS sites list.
    adding the first page (spellcheck.aspx) to the sit properties then the tab document.
    When I try to right click the site and press Browse. I get an error number 403.1 Forbidden: Execute access is denied.

Please tell me if there is a way to fix the problem.

Yigael Oscar

Re: learn about 2003 or installing a site

We're not in Matrix yet, you know... To learn how to do things, you have to take some time to read some documentation.
    I will try to help you though with your error message. Take a look at the attached screenshot. In your site's properties, see that the Execute drop down box is not on None.
    Hope this info helps.
    Last edited by sorinso; 9th November 2007, 21:29.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Train Signal, http://www.trainsignal.com/index.asp...on=Custom&ID=8 for all your learning needs in this case.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thank you all. I need a free learning book if possible.
        The solution worked to a point. Now I get 404 file or directory not found.

Yigael Oscar

Comment

Steady, steady...
          First, I don't know how good are free books. Take a look at this list, see if something suits you. I didn't verify them, so see for yourself.
          Next, regarding the development: I am glad it is now 404 error, it means that what you did was relevant.
          I would check two things:
          - the default document (see the attached screenshot) should be the page you need :spellcheck.aspx;
          - the users IUSR_[YourServerName] and IWAM_[YourServerName] have permissions on the C:\Inetpub\wwwroot[\subfolder , if your site is in a subfolder] folder ( it should be Read, Write and Execute, if I remember right).

Come back with the result and we'll go from there.
          Last edited by sorinso; 9th November 2007, 21:29.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Thank you for your replay. I tried to do what you told me, but unfortunately I couldn't find where I change the permissions of the users.
            I tried to search for them but I only found a vba file and a reference to them in the IIS help

Yigael Oscar

Comment

Open My Computer, go to C:\Inetpub. Right Click on wwwroot folder and choose Properties. Go to Security tab and you should see there a list of users and groups that have permissions to the specific folder. By clicking on one of the names, you'll see in the lower part what permissions it has.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Hi,
                I did what you said but found only one of the users. The IUSR_[YourServerName] one, the other one is not in sight. In the relevant sub folders the users are only 3. Administrator, Administrators, and system.

Yigael Oscar

Comment

I think it is time for you to provide some screenshots of the virtual site you defined... Maybe there we'll find some ideas...
                  Don't forget to remove any info you don't want public from there.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
                  X