Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• service did not respond in a timely fashion - XP Pro joining a domain

Hi all,

I am setting up a small network for testing / learning exercises and it is comprised thus:
    1 x laptop running windows server 2003 (hereafter referred to as the Server)
    4 x laptops running windows xp pro

I have the server set up running AD and DNS, with my router taking care of DHCP (The server is statically assigned an IP however).

The client with which I am using to try to join the domain can ping the Server by name and by IP address. The Server can likewise ping the client by IP and name. I have the client set up using the Server as its primary DNS server with no others added in as secondary. The DNS server has a forwarder on to my ISPs DNS servers for Internet connectivity.

I have followed two excellent tutorials on this site to get this far (AD set up, DNS set up).

When I try to join the domain (by going to My Computer -> Properties -> Computer Name -> Change) i receive the following error message (after a prompt for a username and password and about 5-10 minutes of 'Not Responding'

"The following error occurred attempting to join the domain: tillcorp.local - the service did not respond to the start or control request in timely fashion"

The NetLogon service is running (which i thought sounded relevant ) but am otherwise a bit out of ideas!!

Any thoughts??

Re: service did not respond in a timely fashion - XP Pro joining a domain

You would be best to use the DHCP server in Windows so you can set the scope options.

My guess is that the client DNS does not point to the server like it should. Go to a command prompt and run ipconfig /all on the client. The DNS should only point to the server, nothing else.
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

Re: service did not respond in a timely fashion - XP Pro joining a domain

Thanks for your reply.

Client ipconfig /all
      ==============
      DHCP enabled : Yes
      Autoconfiguration enabled : Yes
      IP Address : 192.168.0.148
      Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
      Default Gateway : 192.168.0.1
      DHCP Server : 192.168.0.1
      DNS Servers : 192.168.0.140

192.168.0.140 is the IP of the Server. Also 192.168.0.1 is my router (if that wasnt obvious )

Comment

Working...
      X