Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rebuilding new server with the old name

Dear all,
    I hope you will be able to help me. Our DC has to be rebuild and we opted to bring in new DC instead (new name, ip, etc); clear up metadata in AD (no chances of "graceful demote" ) and hopefully it'll be no AD references to the old DC.
    all is good with this plan, but the same server was also an application server which we are going to rebuild onto separate machine.
    My question is: is it safe to rebuild application server with the same (ex-DC name and IP) so that we would just restore the applications into it. It will be a member server in the same domain.
    Hope somebody can bring me piece of mind.
    Thanks a lot for any insights in advance!
    Lana.
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it

Re: rebuilding new server with the old name

I wouldn't to be honest. It does say in Microsoft documentation that "that domain controller must NEVER AGAIN come online" if its account has been deleted and roles seized etc. I would guess that that means also the computername must remain forever lost. Surely the application's data is not reliant on computername? Surely the application client is accessing the application via a DNS alias, as opposed to the real server name?

I would think (although I'm not sure) that creating a CNAME record in DNS with the old server name will work for application users. i.e.

oldserver WAS 102.123.145.156
    newserver.yourdomain.net IS 102.123.145.167

DNS Records:
    oldserver CNAME newserver.yourdomain.net
    newserver 102.123.145.167

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

I done this not too long ago.

As long as you are sure the server will never be connected to the network then you will be ok to name the new server with the old servers name.

Just make sure you have deleted all references to the old server from AD and DNS before you start with the new server.

Comment

Thanks a lot, guys, especially, wullieb1!
        Could you please clarify for me:
        when you said
        "make sure you have deleted all references to the old server from AD and DNS", do you mean - just ADSRV or even DNS aliases ? (as I hoped we can use those when the new member server will become application server with the old name and IP (all those aliases were used by various applications)

many thanks in advance
        Lana
        Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it

Comment

I would use the following as a rough guide as i'm trying to do this from memory.

Delete the Computer Account from AD
          Clean up the metadata in AD
          Delete all DNS entries from ALL folders in your DNS structure. This includes any reverse lookup zones.

When you install the new server it will register its own records in DNS anyway.

I'm sure i've no doubt missed something but i have a hangover and can't think at the moment.

Comment

Working...
          X