Server spec

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server spec

We have 1200 users in a single location. There are 400 computers in total, however a lot are laptops that are not in the building. In the worst scenario there would be a maximum of 300 users logged on. I currently have a Dell Poweredge with 2 Xeon's , 4gb RAM + 2003 Standard. The server is about to end it's lease and I'd like to spec a new one. The only services running on the server are DNS, DHCP and AD and is the PDC.

Can someone give me some advice on how to calculate the required amount of RAM and spec a CPU for the above scenario.

thanks

Re: Server spec

You could probably reverse the question and test your current server using this tool, (ADTest.exe, from MS)

Also, is this the only DC?
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

I have a secondary DC running in the event of failure, it too runs AD and DNS. Thanks for that link, it looks a useful tool.

Comment

I think you should look into going Virtual.

Comment

Originally posted by usits View Post
          I think you should look into going Virtual.
          If you are going to make such a statement like that, then you need to back it up with some reasoning.

Me saying "I think you should buy a Volvo" has about as much persuasive power. Put forward some arguments to backup your post.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
          X