No announcement yet.

Long username and pre-windows 2000 logon

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long username and pre-windows 2000 logon

I have a question about long usernames. Pre-Windows 2000 operative systems doesn't like usernames longer than 20 characters while Windows 2000+ accepts it.

When I create a user in my Windows 2003 domain I get to name the account, I give it the username Username.Userlastname (which is 21 characters).

Since the client OS is Windows XP and the Server OS is Windows Server 2003 I thought it would accept the long username, but it doesn't. The default way to logon seems to be prewindows 2000, with a drop down list to pick the domain. So to get the logon to work I have to enter the username [email protected], which makes the dropdown domain box grey and the logon attempt is accepted.

Is there a way to make the client try to add the "@domain" to the end by default, so that my users can enter their long usernames without typing the domain at the end?

I did use but there's a lot of crap out there and I couldn't quite find what I was looking for... any help or pointers, tips & tricks are welcome!

A wise man once said: "Assumption is the mother of all fu*k ups".

Any advice I give is to the best of my knowledge, there is no guarantee what so ever that it will actually work in your particular scenario. I will not accept any responsibility for unexpected consequences, after all - you are taking advice from a complete stranger over the internet. =)

Re: Long username and pre-windows 2000 logon

I don't know of any way to automatically add the UPN suffix. But you can create another UPN suffix that's shorter if that's an issue.

Sorry, it's not much help.

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond

Re: Long username and pre-windows 2000 logon

Everything I'm reading says to avoid usernames with more than 20 characters. Not practical, I think, in your situation but that advice does crop up time and time again. Sorry I haven't got a better answer.
      Best wishes,
      MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008