Mapping LPT port

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mapping LPT port

Is there a limit on how many times I can map an lpt1 port from different workstations to a printer that is shared on a windows 2000 server?
    I basically used the following command:

"net use lpt1 \\servername\printername"

After the 8th time I did it, I am getting an error telling me that you have reached the maximum connections to this resource.

Re: Mapping LPT port

Is the printer hooked up to the server with a printer cable, physically, or is it connected to the network with a network cable?
    A wise man once said: "Assumption is the mother of all fu*k ups".

Any advice I give is to the best of my knowledge, there is no guarantee what so ever that it will actually work in your particular scenario. I will not accept any responsibility for unexpected consequences, after all - you are taking advice from a complete stranger over the internet. =)

Comment

It is connected directly via parallel cable. Ok here is the update on this. After rebooting the machine I was able to map with no issues.

CORRECTION: I mentioned that it is a windows 2000 server it is actually windows 2000 workstation sorry about that.

Comment

Originally posted by usits View Post
        CORRECTION: I mentioned that it is a windows 2000 server it is actually windows 2000 workstation sorry about that.
        Here's your problem, you're limited to 10 concurrent connections on Pro.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Ok that makes sense, but how come after rebooting it worked? I am assuming rebooting was a temp fix and if more than 10 users try to print it will not work? Am I right or wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by usits View Post
            Ok that makes sense, but how come after rebooting it worked? I am assuming rebooting was a temp fix and if more than 10 users try to print it will not work? Am I right or wrong?
            You are correct. What rebooting did for you was disconnect all the sessions so that it has no connections being used when it starts up. But as the other computers start to use resources on the 2k Pro machine (like printing), they start using up the available connections until you reach the maximum.

Now the other computers will close the connection when they are done with them but I don't know off the top of my head how long it is before a connection is closed.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
              ... I don't know off the top of my head how long it is before a connection is closed.
              Inbound connections are closed after 15 minutes. On a Win2k Pro computer you can change this to, say 25 minutes if you like:

net config server /autodisconnect:25
              Best wishes,
              PaulH.
              MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Originally posted by PaulH View Post
                Inbound connections are closed after 15 minutes. On a Win2k Pro computer you can change this to, say 25 minutes if you like:

net config server /autodisconnect:25
                Well in this case shouldn't I reduce the time instead of 25 or 15 make it like 5 min only?

Comment

Well, that's a workaround, you could consider getting a server operating system instead.
                  Best wishes,
                  PaulH.

Comment

Or network the printer somehow: by adding it a NIC, if the option exists in the model, or by adding an external print server, like Axis.
                    Just an idea...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                    -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
                      Just an idea...
                      And a jolly good one at that too. But we expect no less from our favourite MVM.

I was just thinking, in regard to a client of mine who regularly hits the 10 user barrier with Win2kPro, he gets all sorts of problems and I worry that the OP will solve his printer problem by networking it, only to then hit another fileshare problem or whathaveyou.
                      Best wishes,
                      PaulH.

Comment

The only problem in direct printing to a networked printer, without the aid of a dedicated printer server is the permissions' issue, that you cannot manage permissions.
                        On the other hand, buying a server OS only for this, will be too much to expect. Unless the OP has a server that can be made to be Printers Server too...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                        -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
                          The only problem in direct printing to a networked printer, without the aid of a dedicated printer server is the permissions' issue, that you cannot manage permissions.
                          One more problem IMHO, multiple queues to manage. (ugh!) But a network printer is probably the way to go.

@Paul Thanks for the tidbit about disconnect.
                          Regards,
                          Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                          X