No announcement yet.

UNC paths not working

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNC paths not working

Second posting today...
    I have a strange problem in so much that UNC paths don't work.
    However, FQDN paths, and paths using IP addresses work.

\\servername\share ( Doesn't work )
    \\servername.domain.local\share ( works )
    \\ipaddress\share ( works )

This is a real pain as it is transparent to the users but my GPOs, WSUS and so on is all messed up and I do too much running around doing manual fixes rather than applying policies etc.

When a computer boots up, a DOS window quickly appears stating that UNC paths are not enabled ( not allowed, not permitted .... ) and is using FQDN

Has anyone seen this before and is there a fix ?

Re: UNC paths not working

Not seen this before but do you have .domain.local in your DNS suffix search order and in DHCP?

Michael Armstrong
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

You don't say what's changed?

You have WSUS and AD which must have worked before. Has anything changed on a DC recently.

I have seen similar to this but only when a machine has not been connected to the domain correctly or its account has been corrupted and has to be rejoined.

also what OS for PC and Servers ?
      The Univurse is still winning!

W2K AD, WSUS, RIS 2003. ISA also AVG Server
      ** If contributors help you, recognise them and give reputation points where appropriate **

What if you Run:
        cmd /k nbtstat -r (<--lowercase r)
        cmd /k net view

Now clear the cache:
        cmd /k nbtstat -R (<--uppercase R)

Then do the same tests again.

Do you run WINS on the network?

check firewalls:
        On the fileserver, and on the client, run:
        cmd /k netstat -an
        What are listening?

Last edited by Rems; 27th February 2007, 14:58.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
        and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Have you removed "Entire Network in Network Neighbourhood" or "Network Neighbourhood" itself using policy? This will prevent UNC paths from working.

DOS boxes canot use UNC paths as the current directory (they must have a drive letter to begin) so will report this error if the script tries to go to a UNC path. This is unrelated to your Windows problem.

For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Do you have your DNS Suffix set to your domain name???

What we had originally was a single server running Windows 2000 but this server was old and so when I joined I added two new servers. One as the main server for file and print and the other for exchange.
              I demoted the Exchange to be a stand alone server and all was well but with the old server ( still running 2000 ) hosting WINS.
              There were trusts between the new servers and the old server and we were not running in native mode and so I upgrade the 2000 server to be Windows 2003 server and added it as a member server, switched to native mode and removed the trusts.
              I think that this is when the UNC paths stopped working but I've no idea what to resolve in order to fix it.
              I will try the suggestions from the posts below ( Thanks to all so far ) and report back.