Lost files with roaming profiles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost files with roaming profiles

We have server 2003 sp1 and xp sp2 clients. We had the home folder and profiles set to our storage server. When synchronizing was enabled peoples my documents started disappearing. For some reason they were appearing in other peoples profiles. Has any one seen any thing like this? According to Microsoft they have never seen this happen.

Re: Lost files with roaming profiles

I haven't seen this before but I don't work with roaming profiles very ofter. I cannot think of any reason as to why this would happen.

Are users sharing machines or do they each have their own?
    Does this happen for all users or only specific ones?
    What happens if you re-create their profile?

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

No every user has there own machine and it only happened to specific users. We havea company that manages our network and they said that it might have something to do with names being misspelled in AD and later corrected or if someone messed with the registry. At this point I don't think they have a clue to what happened, if it was something they did or malicious actions. We never tried recreating the profiles so I can't answer that one. Thank you very much all your comments are greatly appreciated.

Comment

Use Roaming Profiles for the user config bits (desktop, registry, ...). Put their documents on a home drive outside of roaming profiles.

Makes things run much better all the way around. Laptop users have "Home" locally.
        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Yes we have done that now that people lost so many files. I am still searching for an answer as to why this happened.

Comment

I don't know why it happened, but you're not alone. At a school, Rachel suddenly started seeing Adam's profile. All of it, as if it was hers, desktop & everything!

I had to delete their profiles, and start over. If I tried to copy anything over from their old profile, it just messed things up. So I guess these things can go awry, for no apparent reason, and the why question may never be answerable.

In future, I'm going to take Rick's tip and separate the documents off into a home folder on another path.
            Best wishes,
            PaulH.
            MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

We started separating them long ago (as I'm sure others did) due to the slow logon / logoff times and the space issues.

I'm wondering if an aborted logon / logoff helped screw up the sync ???
              Cheers,

Rick

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
                We started separating them long ago (as I'm sure others did) due to the slow logon / logoff times and the space issues.

I'm wondering if an aborted logon / logoff helped screw up the sync ???
                Ahh yes the good old 'My machine takes 30 mins to log on in the morning' problem.

Usually a CD's worth of music in the profile.

Comment

Working...
                X