Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tricky DNS Problem (Windows Server 2003)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tricky DNS Problem (Windows Server 2003)

We have a VPN to another domain to access sites on their network. I didn't want to edit the hosts file on every PC so created a Forward lookup zone (lets call it x.com). I entered all the hosts required. I added alias records to our forward lookup zone so we could use unualified names and it all worked fine.....

Except we could no longer email them @x.com. I'm guessing because there was no MX record in the X.com forward lookup zone on our DNS. I know I could add these records but I would rather not have to duplicate public hosts.

I'm assuming that DNS thinks the x.com forward lookup zone on our server should contain every record for x.com. Is there a way to tell it to also try the DNS forwarders if there is no record in the zone on our DNS?

Re: Tricky DNS Problem (Windows Server 2003)

You can create a condiftional forwarding for the external domain if your DNS servers are W2K3.
    Guy Teverovsky
    "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Don't think that will work as I need a zone of x.com on my server to get it to resolve fqdn's properly. So I can't then conditionally forward x.com.

I need a way to set up the zone so host entries in there will be accepted and hosts not listed will be forwarded.

Comment

Originally posted by chief007 View Post
        Don't think that will work as I need a zone of x.com on my server to get it to resolve fqdn's properly. So I can't then conditionally forward x.com.

I need a way to set up the zone so host entries in there will be accepted and hosts not listed will be forwarded.
        This can not be done...

But I wonder, why conditional forwarding will not work for you ? Why do you need to maintain records for the external zone and not rely on integrity of the zone hosted on remote DNS servers ?
        Guy Teverovsky
        "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

I have no administrative access to the VPN or the DNS on it. Hence the issue. It's a political thing....

Ho hum, hosts files are doing the job.... Thanks for all your help!

Comment

Working...
          X