How to Backup Active Directory?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Backup Active Directory?

Can anyone tell me, how to backup AD manually?
    It mean, I have got Hard Disk which wasn't work 2003. and i want to copy AD data to new server that i have got. Can I overwrite AD Database?

Thanks
    Lasantha

Re: How to Backup Active Directory?

It's a bit unclear on your current situation.

Are you saying you have a 2003 server with AD and you want to backup and restore the DB to a spare HD or is it the other way around i.e. you have a AD backup (System state) on a HD that you want to overwrite your current active directory with?

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks your reply
      I am relay happy for that. and I'll explain it cleary.

I have two questions

1). I have just hard disk (Hard Disk only) which I used in windows 2003 server. and i dont have any AD backup (system state) It has more than 60 users. How can I reinstalled to my new server 2003?

2). I used windows backup software for AD backup (System state) and reinstalled it to another server (New). But it wasn't boot up. How can i Migrate AD to another server?

Lasantha
      Last edited by Lasanthajn; 23rd February 2007, 08:32.

Comment

I take it this is just the Hard Drive from an Active Directory server?? Can you not plug it back into the original HD?

This is going to be a bit tricky if not!

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

1. Yes, i can't use that server again because of critical error with power supply and motherboard. But Hard disk (SATA) is fine. and I can get all data from that HDD. But I don't know how to get AD to new server.

(this is deference questions)
          2. Do you know any Idea how to migrate AD to another server?

Thank you again for your great help

lasantha

Comment

Migrating AD to a different server is easy.

Build a new server and add it as a DC to your existing network - after a few hours all data should be replicated from the first server to the second. You then need to transfer the FSMO roles from the first to the second server.

Sorry but I am not going to go through all the gory details as this has been covered many times before. If you get stuck after using the search function then let us know.

I'm a bit stuck on question 1 TBH - Any other input?

Michael
            Michael Armstrong
            www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Working...
            X