Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow logon

[email protected]!

We are having heavy problems with slow server logon...

System is:

Dual Opterons
    4GB RAM
    2NICs

The problem is, that when computer goes up, it takes a long time (10-15 min) until I can ping it...
    But If I turn on the monitor, it says (Applying computer settings)... And it stays on applying settings for about 10 mins, then goes to logon and I can ping it...

What could be the problem?

Startup section is clean, everything seems to be fine... How would I speed up the logon procedure?

Thanks and if you need any additional info, let me know...

Re: Slow logon

Are you using roaming profiles??

Comment

What services is the server is question running? Active Directory (DC), DHCP, DNS, Exchange, ISA, etc...

Does this server have static IP(s)? If not it might be trying to retrieve an IP via DHCP which will slow down startup and make it unpingable.
      Also, are you using a local DNS server? Make sure Netbios over TCP/IP is enabled.

Check event viewer for errors that aren't generating popups, if something is there it may give you insight into the problem.
      Last edited by ahinson; 21st February 2007, 16:08.
      Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Ellow!

On server are configured:

DNS server (local)
        Exchange server
        Static IP
        Active directory
        TCP over netbios enabled

I have a problem with only one service... We are also running vmware, and in event log I get huge amount of PerfLib errors (every second one or 2!!)... But before this started to happening (long logon times), there were also present (this perflib errors)

I`m just afraid of that I will have to reconfigure/reinstall/format it and start all over again... (server is 3 yrs old)...

And today, it started to crash on me... For example, I tried to log on remotely (RDC) and it crashed without reason...

Its not overheating, and I hope its not hardware... I will look into it tomorrow morning...

Comment

Where is your server pointing for DNS resolution???

Comment

Originally posted by gregaSLO View Post
            I have a problem with only one service... We are also running vmware, and in event log I get huge amount of PerfLib errors (every second one or 2!!)... But before this started to happening (long logon times), there were also present (this perflib errors)
            Which service?

And what counters are giving you PerfLib errors? Have the errors always been for the same ones or are new ones erring as of late?
            Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Sometimes just emptying the recycler, clearing the IE cache and undo once all mappings can be surprisingly successful

But in this case about these PerfLib errors in the eventlog,
              read this artical: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828872
              Deleting all network-interfaces from the Device manager, reboot the computer and installing the drivers again might help?

Do you happen to have Windows Server 2000?

\Rem
              Last edited by Rems; 21st February 2007, 17:04.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
              and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

I can tell you from experience that you need to look at you DNS. When I was learning Server 2003 R2, my logons were taking anywhere form 2 to 14 minutes. Then I went into DNS and properly setup the forward and reverse lookups, my logons are less than 15 seconds.

Comment

Damn I figured out what was wrong...

Everything related to config and software is OK...

Primary disk, and storage disk are returning me errors... So my only guess is, that soon this 2 disks will fail...

Now I have to do full backup and buy 2 new disks...

Can anyone advise me, how to copy full content of C: system disc and how to transfer it to another...

I reeeeeealy don`t want to reinstall server..

Thanks!

Comment

Do you have Ghost or an equivalent package?

Also odd that both disks would be failing at the same time. You have powered down, reseated all the connectors, and powered up?
                    Cheers,

Rick

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

This is what I will do now...

I checked power supply, all fine...

To check connectors in the only thing I didn`t do yet...

Will report here what I found out!

And thanks all for helping me out!

Comment

Might also be worth running fsutil on the drives to see if there is anything wrong there. Have you also run chkdsk /f as well.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

uhhhhh

Primary disk crashed, that was an error...

Now the mirrored disk won`t boot at all... So I set up a WinXP, and I added the data from the disk which crashed to another disk...

So here`s the picture:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          DISK 1 (good healthy disk, 100% restored from failed disk)
                          C: -> Backed up C disk
                          D: -> Backed up D disk
                          --------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------
                          DISK 0
                          F: -> Currently loaded WinXP for repairing
                          -----------------------------------------------------

So my question is, is there any way (fixMBR, fixboot) to repair the second disk, that it would boot normally??
                          I mean It boots to stage where it shows the Win2003 Server logo, but then it restarts... I tried safe mode, last good known config, nothing works...

Is it even possible, or will I have to reinstall server?

Thanks!

Comment

There is obviously a problem there. There are several apps available that will allow you to boot from a CD and run some diagnostics on the drive to see if it is faulty. Alternatively you could reinstall 2003 and select the second Repair option (assuming it is still available. Seen it become a non option after HDD corruption).

Is the Boot.ini pointing to the correct disk/partition?
                            1 1 was a racehorse.
                            2 2 was 1 2.
                            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi again!

I`ve managed to repair all...

2 disks were faulty, first SCSI disk and second SATA disk...

I was sooo lucky that I was able to copy from faulty scsi disk to another healthy one ALL of system data, and booted up without a problem...

I have exchange backed up with win2003 util in .bkf file and all the other data in the same way...

Huh server up and running after 28 hours of work...

Thanks all!

Comment

Working...
                              X