No announcement yet.

Folder Redirection

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folder Redirection

Hey guys this is my first post but I've been coming to this website for quite a while. I've scoured the internet for the answer to this and come up with nothing so I'm hoping you guys can help me out.

Here's my setup:
    1 Windows Server 2003 (DC)
    50 XPP clients (apprx.)
    Folder Redirection

That's a really basic description but hopefully it will help.

What I'm trying to do:
    Use folder redirection to redirect My Documents to the users home directory.

What the problem is:
    I get this error in the application log of the client computer every time "Failed to perform redirection of folder My Documents. The files for the redirected folder could not be moved to the new location. The folder is configured to be redirected to <\\Server2\Sys\Users\%username%>. Files were being moved from <C:\Documents and Settings\teacher\My Documents> to <\\Server2\Sys\Users\teacher>. The following error occurred while copying <C:\Documents and Settings\teacher\My Documents\desktop.ini> to <\\Server2\Sys\Users\teacher\desktop.ini>:
    Access is denied."
    I've checked my rights settings dozens of times and I've even gone in and made changes to the files on both the server and client stations to make sure that I have sufficient rights. One weird thing is that when I go into the local My Documents folder I can't see desktop.ini even when I have it set to show hidden files and folders.

What I've tried:
    I've tried the setting that automatically redirects to the users home directory, I've tried putting in the path to their home directory manually with the %username% wildcard. I've tried creating a seperate directory for their My documents and having the group policy automatically create an folder in that directory based on their username. I've given the users group local administrative rights.

I'm completely out of ideas and I would really appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction. I've got to get this going before the 16th or I'm dead. Thanks.

Have you checked the SHARE permissions as well as security?
    Remember, default share permission in 2K3 is "Everyone Read" so you need to explicitly grant any write permissions

Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Desktop.ini will not show unless u set the folder option to: NOT hide system files

when redirecting the dir, you can always choose to not copy the files, and then do it manualy by urself
      -- ToR911 --

wrong post