Unable to run, access denied

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to run, access denied

I do hope someone can help me. My situation is this.
    I have built a new W2K3 server, installed all of the patches, hotfixes and other downloads from Microsoft. As a Stand-alone server, I can connect to any share on my Domain and run any type of application.

After I join the server to the domain, I successfully log in and try to execute an application from any of the shares, I receive an error. The applications fail to run and I recieve an error stating that Access is denied due to invalid path or permissions.

I am a Domain Admin and an Enterprise Admin so I know it is not an issue with permissions. If I remove the server from the domain, I can then connect to the same share and successfully execute the same application.

I appreciate all the help I can get and Thank you in advance.

Re: Unable to run, access denied

What applications fail to run and why do you need to run them on a Domain Controller?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Check that your user (or one of the groups it is part of ) it's part of the local Administrators group.
      And come back with the result and some more details, please.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

Hi,

I had exactly this problem not long ago. When running a program that is located on the server (some programs need to be run from the server), and the client PC has IE7 installed, you need to change IE7. It sounds mad, I know, but it fixed it for me. My Solution: Go to IE7's Internet Options > Security and click Trusted Sites. Change the "Security Level For This Zone" to Low and apply. Now you can run programs that are situated on a server's share.

Oddly, I also had this problem on one workstation (amongst many other IE7 workstations) that still had IE6. But like you, only saw error when joined to Domain.

Sorin's Solution: This could certainly prove useful to check out. If adding the Domain Users to the local Administrators group (as Sorin suggests) does not help at all, I would suggest you take them out again - users can cause havoc if they are given too much power unless they really need to have it. If however Sorin's idea does fix it, then I would suggest you take them out again and then run the program in the context of an Administrator, not using RunAs but using CPAU.EXE which is a free download. I can help with this if needed.
        Last edited by PaulH; 18th February 2007, 22:02.
        Best wishes,
        PaulH.
        MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Hello Everyone,

Biggles77: The system in question is not and will not be a DC. It is slated to become a Member Server and a host for 3 Virtual Server's. Also, I am simply trying to install software on the system that is housed on my Software server.

Sorinso: The User in question is mine. I am a Domain Admin for the Domain. Also, I made certain that the Domain Admins is a member of the Local Admins group and I even made my own account a member of the Local Administrators group. It did not matter. Still did not work.

PaulH: I will try your suggestion and let you know the results.

To reiterate, When the server is acting as a Stand alone server and not part of the Domain, I can connect to the Domain Share's and run any application. This is done with my UserId which belongs to the Domain Admins. The problem lies when I join the server to the Domain and using my UserId and attempt to run applications. That is when I get the error. It is very strange.

Comment

Originally posted by pmullan View Post
            To reiterate, When the server is acting as a Stand alone server and not part of the Domain, I can connect to the Domain Share's and run any application. This is done with my UserId which belongs to the Domain Admins. The problem lies when I join the server to the Domain and using my UserId and attempt to run applications. That is when I get the error. It is very strange.

Yes - that's just what I had. Despite the message, it didn't (in my case) have anything to do with NTFS permissions, so no amount of fiddling with membership groups had any effect. When I altered the Trusted Sites zone to "Low" I could run the app just as a normal domain user. Do let us know how you get on.
            Best wishes,
            PaulH.

Comment

Originally posted by pmullan
              Biggles77: The system in question is not and will not be a DC. It is slated to become a Member Server and a host for 3 Virtual Server's. Also, I am simply trying to install software on the system that is housed on my Software server.
              My apologies. When I read in your initial post,
              Originally posted by pmullan
              After I join the server to the domain
              my brain went to DC mode and made the wrong assumptions.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

PaulH, I tried what you suggested and it did not work. Any other ideas. I am beginning to think it my be an issue with AD.

Comment

Strange, because it is so similar to the issue I was having, and so the only other thing I can think of is to put both http://servername and servername into the trusted sites zone. Did you change the zone level to Low on both the server that's got the share on it and the computer that's trying to run the program from that share?

I just can't get my brain to accept it's an NTFS permissions issue, so let's think about something else too: Can you copy notepad.exe into the folder that you are trying to run the app from and does notepad run from the share?

Dcdiag is available from the Support Tools folder on the Windows server CD - run dcdiag /c and does it give you any problems to investigate? Also run netdiag

Do you have the exact text of the error message?
                  Best wishes,
                  PaulH.

Comment

I think you should check also the policies in effect on your user while logged in to the server. Maybe a GPO is making all this trouble.
                    It would be nice if you could run gpresult.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                    -

Comment

OK, I resolved my issue. What I did was to create another OU and then I moved the new server from the Computers OU and into the new OU. I waited approximately 15 minutes and then I bounced the server and logged in. After logging in, I navigated to a share and to my surprise, I was able to run the applications.

It sounds wierd, but it seems to be working ok now. However, I believe I now have an issue with AD

Comment

Originally posted by pmullan View Post
                        It sounds wierd, but it seems to be working ok now. However, I believe I now have an issue with AD
                        I am glad you solved the problem. And nothing is weird in computers... It really sounds you had a GPO making trouble over there. You should use Group Policy modeling wizard to run a test and see what was a problem, so you'll know next time you'll encounter the same problem.
                        And it will be nice if you'll post the setting that caused the behavior.
                        TIA.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
                          I am glad you solved the problem. ...
                          And it will be nice if you'll post the setting that caused the behavior.
                          TIA.
                          Sorin I do agree - the symptoms pmullan was having were 100% like the ones I had (as solved by the Low security setting on Trusted Sites). I too would be very interested to see what setting caused the behavior.
                          Best wishes,
                          PaulH.

Comment

To tell you the truth, I won't be surprised if we will discover that we are talking about to ways to solve the same problem...
                            But let's see what the OP has to say.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

I must apologize Paul and Sorin. Moving the Server to a different OU was not the fix. Paul, you were almost right on the money with the Security settings. However, the actual fix was that; I had to uninstalled the "IE Enhanced Security Configuration" component. Once that was removed and I bounced the server, I was able to work.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.........

Comment

Working...
                              X