Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accessing only Security Event Logs

Hi Folks

Does anybody know how can one set up a user access to only event logs, particularly security logs?

Reason: I would like to have access only to the event logs for the monitoring purposes. I prefer not to have any other access rights on that server.

Btw. I am talking about win2000 server (I know there is a way to do this on win 2003, but I can't use it) . If possible, I would like to read out the logs with a logparser tool. So if there is no way to set up a user profile with access rights only for event logs, is there a way to give a user access rights to the service which reads the event logs???

Thanks

RoughStaff

Re: Accessing only Security Event Logs

Hi, RoughStuff (or is it RoughStaff? ).

I suggest you take a look at LogParser, a free Microsoft tool. It works on Windows Server 2000 too.
    Take a look at some examples, I think it might answer your needs.
    If not, tell us, we'll keep looking

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

RoughStuff for the forum, RoughStaff for ...hmmmmm

Aaaaaalllright.....gee look at me getting all excited.

However, I am using logparser and I tryed it out, but since I don't have any access rights for the monitoring target machine, it doesn't work. Therefor I am trying to find out if admin can set up an minimum access user account for retrieving the event logs with logparser.

Btw, logparser rooooooooooooooooooooocks.

this time just

Rough

(the rest is subject of interpretation )

Comment

Maybe you can ask the admin to copy the log to a location you have access to it. Of course the process can be scripted...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Working...
        X