Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Base system device error

Hi,
    after reinstalling windows 2003 std on an hp dl360 (g2 i think ) server, i got a message: "base system device"
    please see at : http://postthatpic.com/files/1755/basesystem.jpg

please help

michael

Re: Base system device error

Given the fact that you have a driver problem, I suspect you did not installed the OS using the SmartStart disk. If so, please download it and burn it.
    If you can afford reinstalling the server, I would do it (let the SmartStart prepare the server for the installation). If not, insert the CD into the server and run it. After the EULA, go to Software tab and click on Install Proliant Support Pack. Let it identify your server and install everything it needs.
    Pay attention to that that the link I gave you is for HP DL360 G2. That's an old, discontinued product, thus the versions of the SmartStart and PSP for it are old. If you have other model, search for the latest software for it. Enter your model (on HP servers, it is always written on the front of the server) and pick your OS.
    Hope this info helps. Good luck.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Go to the HP site and download the required drivers, namely all of them, and install each one on your system.

I disagree with Sorinso that you should re-install your system. I have done it many time before on HP and Compaq systems without that SmartStart CD and only loaded drivers onto it later.

Comment

Well, maybe I was misunderstood, so I'll try to make things clearer:
        HP recommends installing OSes with SmartStart. It has its advantages, I won't list them here (they are especially related to using the right, most updated drivers for the right OS).
        As I stated in my reply, I suggest making the installation from scratch. This is what I would do. If this is not acceptable by the OP, I supplied instructions for how to solve the problem on the existing server.
        I assume (and I know I am on thin ice here, it was proved so many times in the past in the forums that assuming is dangerous) that the unknown device shown here is the iLO port. And this because iLO is usually recognized as Multifunction Adapter in the Device Manager (see the attached screenshot). In the OP's screenshot, this branch is missing.
        Nonetheless, it might be something else. Cannot know for sure, we don't even have the right server model.
        Given all these, I still think the right way to solve the problem is by downloading the most updated PSP and installing all it requests.
        And another point: I always give my suggestions as for the unexperienced user, unless I know who I'm talking to. This said, I don't think is the right thing to send the user to update a single driver from the HP site.

But, again, this is only my opinion...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
          Well, maybe I was misunderstood, so I'll try to make things clearer:
          HP recommends installing OSes with SmartStart. It has its advantages, I won't list them here (they are especially related to using the right, most updated drivers for the right OS).
          As I stated in my reply, I suggest making the installation from scratch. This is what I would do. If this is not acceptable by the OP, I supplied instructions for how to solve the problem on the existing server.
          I assume (and I know I am on thin ice here, it was proved so many times in the past in the forums that assuming is dangerous) that the unknown device shown here is the iLO port. And this because iLO is usually recognized as Multifunction Adapter in the Device Manager (see the attached screenshot). In the OP's screenshot, this branch is missing.
          Nonetheless, it might be something else. Cannot know for sure, we don't even have the right server model.
          Given all these, I still think the right way to solve the problem is by downloading the most updated PSP and installing all it requests.
          And another point: I always give my suggestions as for the unexperienced user, unless I know who I'm talking to. This said, I don't think is the right thing to send the user to update a single driver from the HP site.

But, again, this is only my opinion...
          Yes but all manufacturers recommend that you use their install disks to do it. It also has its disadvantages as well as advantages. Personally i NEVER use a manufacturers install CD i prefer to do it the good old fashioned way of install Windows then drivers. Before anyone shouts at me i know its probably not the right way but it means that i can control what goes on my machines.

I apologise if you felt that i was attacking you in any way as that is not what was meant from my post. All i was trying to say was that the OP didn't need to re-install the OS and use SmartStart when all they needed to do was download and install the drivers.

I think from the initial post that the user has some knowledge of how to install an OS so it would again be an assumption that they would know how to install a driver. Damn this assumption thingy.

As a matter of interest doesn't SmartStart allow you to install the drivers independantly from the OS. Its been so long sine i even touched an HP server that i can't remember. If it does the OP can download it and the next time they need to install the OS they can use SmartStart.

Comment

Working...
          X