Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2000 PDC and BDC migration to Windows 2003 BDC

Hi, all

My current configuration is Windows 2K PDC and Windows 2K BDC. I recently purcahsed a Windows 2K3 server. I tried going through all the MS whitepapers about adprep / adsiedit.msc and etc.. but the Windows 2K3 server still won't join the domain. At this point the PDC and BDC servers both say they are ready for Windows 2K3 servers to join the domain but when i DCpromo 2K3 says 2000 envirnment is not ready for 2K3 to join.

#option 2
    My second option is to promote my Windows 2K BDC to PDC and then upgrade that server to Windows 2K3 remove the old PDC completely out of the equation and make the new Windows 2K3 server the BDC. Questions is if i decide to take this route what is the best way to handle this?

Re: Windows 2000 PDC and BDC migration to Windows 2003 BDC

More info.

Did you buy Windows Server 2003 R2? If so, have you run the domainprep and forestprep FROM DISK 2?

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Re: Windows 2000 PDC and BDC migration to Windows 2003 BDC

p.s. there is no "PDC" and "BDC" in Active Directory. There are only Domain Controllers. One will pretend to be a PDC for legacy purposes and to assist in the changing of critical data such as passwords, but that's all.

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Working...
      X