Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot join workstation to the domain

Hi,

When I try to join an XP Pro workstation to the domain, I type in the domain name copley.local and I receive the usual challenge to enter the username and password to join the PC to the domain. So far so good. After typing in the domain Administrator's credentials, I get the error "The format of the specified domain name is invalid."

I have tried just the word copley on it's own as the name of the domain to join but then I get an error saying that domain can't be found. So that is what I expect.

References on the Microsoft site all refer to domain names having to be 15 characters or shorter, which this one is. Other sites suggest editing registry keys whose paths do not exist on the XP Pro workstation.

The XP Pro workstation is a laptop trying to join a Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition computer, on which there are already several happy users who joined the domain easily when the whole thing was set up 6 months ago. It's a small company with only 12 users so far.

Any help is much appreciated.
    Best wishes,
    PaulH.
    MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Re: Cannot join workstation to the domain

Try this:
    1- Activate NetBIOS over TCP/IP.
    2- From where you join it to the domain you should see a button "More" click on it and make sure there is nothing in the box there.
    3- Run ipconfig /flushdns and /registerdns.
    4- Run nbtstat -R
    5- Oh also just try it with the domain name instead of typing ".local" first.
    I had this happen only once and after following the steps above it worked like a charm. Hope this helps.
    cheers

Comment

I had to get rid of the primary DNS suffix, which is where the "More..." button led me, and I did the rest, and all went smoothly so problem solved.

Brilliant, thank you.
      Best wishes,
      PaulH.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulH View Post
        I had to get rid of the primary DNS suffix, which is where the "More..." button led me, and I did the rest, and all went smoothly so problem solved.

Brilliant, thank you.
        Glad it worked out for you too. Cheers

Comment

For completeness, one of our techies also solved the problem by adding the following registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Netlogon\Parameters
          "AllowSingleLabelDnsDomain"=dword:00000001

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Win dows NT\DNSClient
          "UpdateTopLevelDomainZones"=dword:00000001

So while the solution provided by usits worked for me, lurkers may find the above useful if they need to use that.
          Best wishes,
          PaulH.

Comment

Originally posted by usits View Post
            Try this:
            1- Activate NetBIOS over TCP/IP.
            NetBIOS is not required for joining the AD
            Guy Teverovsky
            "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Originally posted by PaulH View Post
              For completeness, one of our techies also solved the problem by adding the following registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Netlogon\Parameters
              "AllowSingleLabelDnsDomain"=dword:00000001

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Win dows NT\DNSClient
              "UpdateTopLevelDomainZones"=dword:00000001

So while the solution provided by usits worked for me, lurkers may find the above useful if they need to use that.
              Interesting... This fix should work in the case of single-label DNS name of the AD. If the DNS name of the AD domain is domain.local, the registry key is not required - looks like you have something wrong configured wrt DNS suffixes.

Does your DHCP server handle DNS suffix to the clients ?
              Do you have by chance primary zone named "local" configured in your DNS ?
              Guy Teverovsky
              "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Guy, thanks for your comments. This is one of my more security-conscious clients, and I can't remotely access their server, so I'll have to look into it when I next visit their area. I'll keep your ideas on my "to do" list for that client, in case there is a problem lurking to catch me out at some later time. Thank you.
                Best wishes,
                PaulH.

Comment

Originally posted by guyt View Post
                  NetBIOS is not required for joining the AD
                  I know its not, notice how I started my post "Try this". I never used the words "You must or You have to". The reason I suggested as one of the tip was, just in case if the computer is having trouble connecting to the domain. You can always change it back to TCP/IP over NetBIOS once computer part of that domain.

Comment

Working...
                  X