SQL Server on the new domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQL Server on the new domain

Have an sql 2000 running on another 2000 member server and after joining to the new domain it would not run. So I backed up all the new settings and restored all the old settings, joined that 2000 member server with sql server on it back to the old domain and it works.
    Now I was thinking If I right click on the sql server group and change the user name and password for the "account that sql uses to run" from "Domain\Administrator" to just Administrator and the join it back to the new domain, would this work?
    Sorry for a complicated scenario but I don't know much of SQL.

I'm creating a new thread as advised by "tkolber" due to forum rules. Sorry for posting it in my old thread.
    Thank you in advance.

Re: SQL Server on the new domain

When you say it won't run, what event log messages are you seeing?

Look in SQL Server Enterprise Manager and let me know:

How do you have authentication set? Windows Only or SQL Server and Windows?

Also, what is the Startup service account? SYSTEM or ???
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
      When you say it won't run, what event log messages are you seeing?

Look in SQL Server Enterprise Manager and let me know:

How do you have authentication set? Windows Only or SQL Server and Windows?

Also, what is the Startup service account? SYSTEM or ???
      Thanks for the reply, here are the answers to your questions:

1- Authentication is set "Windows+SQL"
      2- Startup Service Accont is "RHS\Administrator".

What I wanted to do was just change that startup service account some how so that SQL will start no matter which domain I'm logging into. Thank you again for your help.

Comment

So is RHS the old domain, the new domain, or the machine?

EDIT: I have SQLAgent... started under Local System.
        Last edited by rvalstar; 10th February 2007, 23:14.
        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

So is RHS the old domain, the new domain, or the machine?

EDIT: I have SQLAgent... started under Local System.
          Sorry should have mentioned that. "RHS" is the old domain.

Comment

If you switch the "Log On As" account for the service to an appropriate one on the new domain or "Local System", what happens???
            Cheers,

Rick

Comment

If you switch the "Log On As" account for the service to an appropriate one on the new domain or "Local System", what happens???
              Haven't tried that but I'll try it and post back. This has been delayed for the next two weeks so I'll post back once we start it again. Thanks every one for your help.

Comment

Working...
              X