Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time Server

Hello,

I have 3 Active Directory Server in my company. Server A hosts all the FSMO roles and other 2 servers B and C are acting as Addition Domain Controllers. Last few days back I transferred all the FSMO roles from Server A to Server B smoothly without any kind of errors.I want to demote the Server A completely to utilize its hardware for some other purpose, but I am afraid because last few days back I saw my clients picking the network time from Server A although the Roles were transefferd to Server B. When go to command prompt and type net time it shows this

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\skak>net time
    Current time at \\Server A is 2/7/2007 11:04 AM

The command completed successfully.

My Question is

1) How shall I transfer all my clients to pick the time from Server B.

Hope you people have understood the scenario. Further information please dont hesitate to Post.

Thanks
    SKAK
    ________
    WENDIE 99
    Last edited by Skak12; 13th April 2011, 13:21.

Re: Time Server

You don't say what server types you have so i'll post a link for both 2000 server and server 2003.

Easieast option would be to setup an authoritative Time server

2000 Server

Server 2003

Comment

I just have active directory installed on it and I never made them Authorized time server. I dont know y my clients are going to Server A insted of Server B . Please let me know what happens if I demote server A

Thanks
      Skak
      ________
      Sativa Strains
      Last edited by Skak12; 13th April 2011, 13:22.

Comment

Out of curiousity, is the value for %LOGONSERVER% also "\\Server A"? What if it's "\\Server B" -- does NET TIME still return "\\Server A"?
        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks for the Help once again

value for %LOGONSERVER% also "\\Server A"? What if it's "\\Server B" -- does NET TIME still return "\\Server A"?

how to cahnge the valus for Logon server. Let me change and let you know.

Thanks
          ________
          Lakewood

Comment

So I take it LOGONSERVER is always "\\Server A" and NET TIME returns "\\Server A"?

You can't specify a value for LOGONSERVER, you can only examine it in a CMD box using:
            SET LOGONSERVER

LOGONSERVER contains the machine that authenticated the logon. Authenticating against a DC is supposed to be somewhat random so if you logoff / logon several times, you should see LOGONSERVER as "\\Server B" once in a while. If you do, does NET TIME change to "\\Server B"?

If you are not able to authenticate against "\\Server B" after repeated logoffs / logons, look at this post on how to favor one DC over another:

http://forums.petri.com/showpost.php...55&postcount=5
            Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

OK.

Not to be funny but you asked how to change the server to serverB. I supplied you with a link on how to setup an authoritative time server which if you done on serverb would mean that your clients would get there time from serverb and not servera.

Why do you want them to point to serverb for time??

Are you going to remove servera at some point??

To change this on your clients use the following command

net time /setsntp:serverb

Comment

Skak12 made some indication about demoting "Server A"

Only reason to try messing with the authentication weighting could be to make sure everything works on "Server B" before demoting "Server A" ???

Otherwise, what would it really matter which DC is giving out time?
                Cheers,

Rick

Comment

For the clients check the GPO
                  Computer configuration/Administrative Templates/System/Windows Time Service/Time Providers --->
                  Enable Windows NTP client =enabled
                  Configure NTP client =enabled
                  -> NtpServer:time.windows.com,0x1
                  -> Type: NT5DS
                  -> others: 2 / 15 / 7 / 3600 / 0
                  Enable NTP Server =disabled

Be sure Server B is the 'PDC emulator'! And check if the Windows Time service is running. Then start Registry Editor on Server B;
                  locate: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\W32Time\Parameters
                  Change the following DWORD values:
                  • entry= Type
                    value= NTP
                  • entry= NtpServer
                    value= time.windows.com

Restart the 'Windows Time' service on server B

Restart one of the clients
                  If it didn't not work for the client, then manualy (see command wullieb1 gave) set the ntp server on the clients;
                  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\W32Time\Parameters
                  -> NtpServer REG_SZ= 'ipadres 'pdc-emulator'

Oh yes... do not forget to change the previous pdc emulator as well,
                  For Server A;
                  • entry= Type
                    value= ALLSync
                  • entry= NtpServer
                    value= orginal.timeserver.com,0x2

Restart the 'Windows Time' service on server A

\Rem
                  Last edited by Rems; 28th March 2007, 06:00.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                  and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Thanks REM it woked

Regards
                    Skak
                    ________
                    ZOLOFT CLASSACTION

Comment

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
                      Skak12 made some indication about demoting "Server A"
                      My mistake.
                      Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Working...
                      X