Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standard Desktop

Hello again all!

I have been trying to find a way of creating a standard desktop which will include a number of shortcuts on desktop which will be the same for all users. I have looked at the microsoft excel doc but coulnd't find quite what I am trying to do.

I have thought of copying the shortcuts to all users profile but don't really want it on the administrator's desktop as well.

Can use setup shortcuts for users using a policy?

Thanks
    Simon
    Kind Regards,
    Simon

Re: Standard Desktop

What "microsoft excel doc" did you review?
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Rick: I think it's this one: Group Policy Settings Reference
      Simon: what are these users? Terminal Services? Local on their own stations?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

Hello.

the spreadsheet you mention indicates that you are on a domain with group policies etc. all working correctly. When I read your post earlier, I wasn't sure if that was the case. I think you're considering GPO rather than Profiles, which is where you need to be looking.

If you want to compel all users to have one universal desktop, which never changes, and has your chosen icons on it, you would want to learn about "Mandatory Profiles". Have a look at this link: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=323368 and remember that you can set the profile path for every user to the same place (except you would want the Administrator to have his own so he would have his own desktop).

Now, it may well be that you don't want quite that level of compulsion over the users. So if you have your icons in the default user profile, any new user will get those icons (which later they may delete off their individual desktops).

One tip to bear in mind is that icons need to be universally valid, that is to say, make sure you use unc paths rather than mapped drive letters, so that the icons are valid from anywhere on the network.

I've got a feeling that you would really like to see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305709/EN-US/ which is all about "Create a Custom Default User Profile" which I think will be just right for you.

I hope this points you in the right direction. It's worth knowing about, because it's really useful.

Best of luck!
        Best wishes,
        PaulH.
        MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Fanstastic reply!

Thats exactly what I am looking to do.

Thank you very much!

Best Regards
          Simon
          Kind Regards,
          Simon

Comment

Thanks all!

It works a treat!!!

Cheers
            Kind Regards,
            Simon

Comment

Great! Glad it all worked and thanks for the feedback.
              Best wishes,
              PaulH.

Comment

Hello,

I have created my profile ok and it is working perfectly for the user that I have assigned it too.

I have one question though, How can i assign the same desktop to other users. I have tried just putting the unc path under the users profile tab in AD but when the user log's on it still loads the local profile.

If I follow the instructions from article 323368 and copy it again it works but obviously deletes the desktop thats already setup for the user.

Just to recap what I want to do is have one desktop and assign it to many users.Do i need to make all the users profiles to roaming ones?

Am I doing something wrong?

Many thanks for your help
                Simon
                Last edited by Si_Pe; 8th February 2007, 10:39. Reason: Adding more info
                Kind Regards,
                Simon

Comment

I have just read that changing the NTUSER.DAT to .MAN works. I have just tried this and the new user gets the right desktop but the policy doens't kick in?

Getting there....

Cheers
                  Kind Regards,
                  Simon

Comment

Here is the error in the eventlog

The Group Policy client-side extension Folder Redirection was passed flags (12 and returned a failure status code of (203).

Thanks
                    Kind Regards,
                    Simon

Comment

Simon, I think you might want to look at permissions. You say you want all users to share the same desktop - but do you want that desktop to be mandatory? That means, any changes any users make won't be saved when they logoff. If that's what you want, have a look at this http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true

When you allow the server to create a user's profile, Windows sets very restrictive permissions on that folder so that no-one else can get into it, even Administrators. So the permisions on the folder are crucial and have to be just right - be careful also to make sure the owner of the folder is correct. Rather than go into detail here, if you have a look at that article, it will explain things for you.

Do the other users (the ones who logon but get local desktops) get any error messags when they logon to Windows that say anything like "Could not access the roaming profile... access denied"?

Try logging on as one of those users and then brose to the profiles folder, and see if you can gain access to the profile that you carefully created and saved.

Best wishes,
                      Best wishes,
                      PaulH.

Comment

Simon,

I think our 2 last posts happened at the same time! To help with your most recent question, I reccomend that you set the Group Policy for folder redirection so that "Grant user exclusive rights to My Documents" is Disabled.
                        Best wishes,
                        PaulH.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulH View Post
                          Simon,

I think our 2 last posts happened at the same time! To help with your most recent question, I reccomend that you set the Group Policy for folder redirection so that "Grant user exclusive rights to My Documents" is Disabled.
                          Hi Paul,

I am a little lost now, I followed your first post which showed me how to create a mandatory profile which on the one user worked perfect. I am now a little confused how I setup new users to see the same profile. Do i set this in the policy tab. \\Servername\sharename\%username% or do I just put \\servername\sharename.

Sorry to appear stupid but I have read and changed a few things now and am a little confused.

Thanks for your help

Simon
                          Kind Regards,
                          Simon

Comment

Hi Simon, Please don't feel dumb!

You put \\servername\sharename.

If you had wanted a specific path for each user, you would use the trick of typing in %username% which simply substitues all the different user-names for %username%, which results in every different user getting a different path. You may need to know this for future reference, but not for today. You want all users to go to the same path, so it needs to be \\servername\sharename

I hope this explains things a bit better!

p.s. Oh, and yes - you do put \\servername\sharename in every user's profile path (except Administrator who has his own or is left blank).
                            Last edited by PaulH; 8th February 2007, 11:50. Reason: Added a new tip.
                            Best wishes,
                            PaulH.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulH View Post
                              Hi Simon, Please don't feel dumb!

You put \\servername\sharename.

If you had wanted a specific path for each user, you would use the trick of typing in %username% which simply substitues all the different user-names for %username%, which results in every different user getting a different path. You may need to know this for future reference, but not for today. You want all users to go to the same path, so it needs to be \\servername\sharename

I hope this explains things a bit better!
                              Thanks!

That's what I have been putting. \\servername\sharename.
                              In each users profile.

Do I need to set any redirection stuff in group policy or just leave it all at default?

So when I setup a new user they logon to the server for the first time do I need to change there profile to be a roaming one or not? Its the first time I think I am stuck on. The first user was fine as I copied it to the server location fine and it worked but it's the first bit for a new user I don't know what I need to do apart from put the profile path bit in AD.

Thanks very much for your help!
                              Simon
                              Kind Regards,
                              Simon

Comment

Working...
                              X