Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win2k Network problem

Hi

I recently reinstalled a win2k server running WINs and DNS (that never worked)
    Now i have a fully working 2k server running DNS (working) with a new domain name

but all my client pc's (xp pro) still show the old domain and old PCs that were registerd on it (in network neighborhood)

As you can tell what i know about networking i could write on the back of a stamp but this is really anoying me

how can i change this, Is the old domain/pc list stored on the XP machine ifso how do i alter it

Many thanks if any one can help

Re: Win2k Network problem

I understand you wiped out the old domain and installed on top of it a new domain? What did you do with the old computers' accounts? And the users' accounts? Did you create them on the new domain too?
    The only thing it remains you to do is take the stations out of the old domain and add them to the new domain.
    This itself will make havoc on your stations, even if you do have the new accounts on the new domain, because [email protected]_domain is different from [email protected]_domain, meaning you will have new profiles on all stations.
    Can you explain what did you do? Maybe we can save something (if there's anything left to save)?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

hi

I completly wiped the original doamin (formatted server) and set up an new one (using a diffent domain name) and recreated all the user account

I then used "network id" on on the XP machines to add the workstation to the new domain

There was nothing on the old domain that i needed to keep
      but the problem is when my workstaions log into my new domain when i go to network neighborhood on the work station its shows both the new and the old domain.

I take it that this information is stored on the workstaion someware becuase nothing of the old domain exists any more or is it that becuase there are other machine connected to my network that are still set to my old domain, im totally confused

Comment

there are other machine connected to my network that are still set to my old domain
        If you did not moved all the stations to the new domain, those stations in the old one still advertise it.
        I have to tell you that what you did is not the recommended way. But that's history.
        There was nothing on the old domain that i needed to keep
        Didn't you have any users? What happened with their profiles on the stations?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

the user profiles on the workstations were not a problem as the only thing i needed to keep was the old mail PST files that can be copyed from the old user profile to the new one

the thing is that the old domain shows old machines that were removed even on the old server

so with all machines turned off on my network
          i have only the server with the new domain and one workstation that used to be on the old domain, but has now been added to my new domain. that machine still shows the old domain list in network neighborhood is there a way of stopping this

Comment

Are you using a hosts file? (I think not, but had to ask)
            Try the ipconfig /flushdns command at the command prompt.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

no not using a host file
              or not knowingly i havent set one up or anything

Comment

Do you have WINS in the network, by any chance?

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

there was wins setup on the old network and the workstaion did have that setup but its settings have been changed on the workstation to no wins server.

Comment

Just to be sure, run nbtstat -c at the command prompt. Does it give you a list with the old domain? Or it displays No names in cache?

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

unfortunatley i cant try it right now as im not at work but i will try it first thing tomorow

much appreciated

Comment

Hi sorinso

It does indeed say no names in cache

Comment

And you still see the old domain?

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

yes still see the old domain and all the workstations in it even tho it is no longer available

Comment

You still see inside all the stations, even those you moved to the new domain?
                              Are you sure you moved all of them?

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
                              X