Set DNS when adding Windows SBS 2003 R2 in AD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Set DNS when adding Windows SBS 2003 R2 in AD

I have installed a Windows SBS 2003 R2 SP1 Standard Edition as second domain controller, in Windows Active Directory with Windows SBS 2003 SP1 (not R2!) Standard Editon.
    After running dcpromo on Windows SBS 2003 R2 it appears this warning message: " The Active Directory Installation Wizard cannot continue because the forest is not prepared for installing Windows Server 2003. ..."
    The version of the Active Directory schema of the source forest is not compatible with the version of Active Directory on this computer.
    I have found the solution on http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=k...17385&x=3&y=10
    After AD database alignment beetwen two W2K3 servers I noted that second domain controller had acquired the same password of master schema, but I didin't find DNS replica.
    Is it all right this DNS behavior?
    Many thank for your collaboration.
    Cordially
    Antonio Morrocchesi

Re: Set DNS when adding Windows SBS 2003 R2 in AD

(Steven, sit down and take deep breaths)

Amorrocchesi, you can NOT install SBS into the same domain that already is running SBS. You can NOT have 2 SBS servers running in the same domain.

You can install SBS and then add a Windows Server 2003 as an additional Domain Controller or additional server but (if my learning is correct) the Windows Server 2003 machine can not be a GC (Global Catalogue).

Steven should now be recovered enough to be able to elaborate (and/or) correct any mistakes I have made.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Chris

I don't need to say anything! It is all said here:
      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884453
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

I apologize for my error in precedent post.
        In fact they are both Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition SP1 and I didn't understand why I wrote SBS!
        Following the configuration:
        Server A -> 192.168.0.10 -> Domain Controller
        Server B -> 192.168.0.12 -> Replica Domain Controller
        Here the answers when at the command I prompted type gettype:
        Host name: SERVERA
        Name Windows: Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition
        Version: 5.2 Build 3790 Service Pack 1
        Role: Domain controller
        Components: Terminal Servers
        Host name: SERVERB
        Name Windows: Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition
        Version: 5.2 Build 3790 Service Pack 1
        Role: Domain controller
        Components: Terminal Servers

For installation and configuration of SERVERB like Replica Domain Controller I followed: http://www.petri.com/how_to_install_...ndows_2003.htm
        The precedent question is:
        in this configuration, if SERVERA shutdown or goes down, I suppose that primary domain controller begins automatically SERVERB. But in SERVERB now there isn't DNS service configured. In similar scenario do I will must configure SERVERB like new DNS domain server?
        Many thanks for your collaboration.
        Regards.

Antonio Morrocchesi

Comment

I believe that each DC should have DNS installed on it and each server AND workstation point to both DC's in this case for DNS. Then if one is down the other takes over.
          Remember, if the down server comes back up, the worksations will continue to use the second server for DNS until rebooted-eventhough the original server is back online.
          Having said all that I'm moving this thread to the Windows forum and keeping this for SBS
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

In Replica DC (192.168.0.12) I have installed DNS server and every Intranet PC is configured with both DNS server.
            Many thanks for your professional answers.
            Cordially

Antonio Morrocchesi

Comment

Re: Set DNS when adding Windows 2003 R2 in AD

I have another question about server DNS configured in Replica DC.
              In Replica DC (192.168.0.12) I have installed DNS server and now I proceed to configure it.
              I ask to you if Replica DC DNS musts be configured like DNS Standard Secondary Zone or you suggest to configure it in another mode.
              Cordially.

Antonio Morrocchesi

Comment

Personally I would ALWAYS use Active Directory Integrated Zones... but that's just me...

Tom
                For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Active Directory Integrated Zones.
                  What are right passages to install Active Directory Integrated Zone and do you suggest to me to install Stub Zone?
                  Regards.

Antonio Morrocchesi

Comment

Working...
                  X