Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enabling offline files and letting users access

Hi,

I have a problem driving me insane. I simply want to enable offline files and letting users with limited rights on their laptops use them.

I see that I set the synchronisation correctly cause I can see its synchronising at login and log off. However as a user I have no way of viewing my offline files. Nor do I have an offline files tab or smth like that.

How can I in GPO assign a shortcut or any other way so the user can access the offline files but not change any settings?

PLS help

Re: Enabling offline files and letting users access

First the quick and easy:

You're not using fast user switching, correct?

From http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307853:

Troubleshooting
    • You cannot use offline files.

This can occur if the Fast User Switching feature is enabled. You cannot use fast user switching when you use offline files. To disable the Fast User Switching feature:
    1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    2. In Category view, click User Accounts.
    3. Click Change the way users log on or off.
    4. Clear the Use Fast User Switching check box, and then click Apply Options.
    5. Quit User Accounts, and then quit Control Panel.
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

© 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Hi, Rick.
      Dave is talking about GPO, we should assume he has an AD environment. I think he is not using Fast User Switching... But, again, assuming is dangerous in our profession...
      Oh, well, let's see what Dave has to say upon your question...

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
      In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -
      «««««

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
        Hi, Rick.
        Dave is talking about GPO, we should assume he has an AD environment. I think he is not using Fast User Switching... But, again, assuming is dangerous in our profession...
        Oh, well, let's see what Dave has to say upon your question...
        I'm with you but I'm not assuming anything. Most of the issues around offline files I could find suggested this so I thought we'd eliminate it before you drew another flowchart
        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

© 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Touché !!

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
          In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -
          «««««

Comment

Ok I get the tab for offline files now. Another GPO was overriding the settings. Funny I thougght a GPO higher in prcedence should not have its settings overridden. Anyway. I have evrything now the user can go to the tab and say view offline files. However...

When she logs in on cached credentials (network cable unplugged) she gets an error opening a file saying the file cannot be located. Plug the cable in again and it works. Can anybody pls tell me why this is????

Comment

just in case it wasn't clear i mean she tries to open an offline file in the offline file cache and this says the cable is unplugged.

Comment

ok I heard that it is usual for ofline files to be availabe from the networkshare

This networkshare is the home folder of the user which is automatically created in the properties of the user under profile.

currently have a Windows XP SP2 notebook in a Windows 2003 domain with Offline files enabled for the users H:\\server\homedrive. The problem I am having when the user works with cached credentials from home the mapped offline drive is unavailable.

How can i make this available???

This I beleive is my problem

Comment

Working...
                X