Veritas Netbackup VS BackupExec

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veritas Netbackup VS BackupExec

Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong spot or already asked (I did search).

At my work place we currently have Backup Exec 10d implemented to perform a 2 week rotation of backups for 6 2003 Servers. In the next couple of months it will be time to renew the license and, about a year from now we will be moving to a new building and be building a Datacenter (probably starting with a min of 20 Servers).

My question is what is your opinions between the 2 backup solutions (Backup Exec and Netbackup)? I'm sorta on the fence with which one we are going to go with and hear a lot of good things about both of them. I run BKExec and like it but not sure how it will scale to a Datacenter Our Symantec Sales Engineer is working on getting us an eval copy of Netbackup.

Which one would you recommend and why? I've dug around and read white papers and data sheets for both. After all of the papers I'm looking for a real-world opinion from people who use it on a day-to-day basis.

Thank you for your opinions/recommendations.

Nate
    Netbackup
    25.00%
    Backup Exec
    75.00%
    Hope this helps.

Nate

My advice is provided AS IS, without warranty of any kind, express or implied. Follow at your own risk.

Re: Veritas Netbackup VS BackupExec

(BTW, it's not Veritas anymore, it's Symantec )
    I'm in love with BackupExec. I'm using it since the days of version 6. Now I am using version 9.1.
    BackupExec is the little brother of NetBackup. BackupExec does a great job on my 20-servers environment. But for something bigger, I don't know.
    For the Enterprise-size environment you are describing, I think you should go for the NetBackup. You should take in consideration the price difference, both for the application itself and the agents on every server. The issue will get more and more complicated as you add databases (SQL, Oracle), different OSes (Unix, Linux, NetWare), Enterprise-scale services (like Exchange, AD) and such.
    I think you should test both products. I would try to test BackupExec11 too. I heard that it likes a lot of RAM. I spoke with a Symantec guy today and he said that when installed on a 64-bit machine, it eats a lot of memory. When installed on a 32-bit, it's OK.
    Can't you extend the existing licenses? Postpone the decision for after you move. This way, you'll have a better picture and probably will have to decide then between two newer versions
    This is my opinion. Good luck.

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -
    «««««

Comment

Sorin Solomon,

Thanks for the advice.

Nate
      Hope this helps.

Nate

My advice is provided AS IS, without warranty of any kind, express or implied. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

It quite depends on you're data volume and the time window when the backup should be completed. AFAIK Netbackup is a bit faster, however the last Backupexec i've seen was version 8 if i remember it correctly.

From what i've seen, Netbackup is much harder to setup, however much more stable and very fast. I've sen backup solutions who where backing up to tape and Drive at the same time. About 30 (about 800gig of data) servers within about 4-6 hours.
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Marcel,

Thanks for the advice. I have a meeting setup with our Symantec Sales Rep tommorow to discuss getting my hands on an Eval of Netbackup and do a comparison. When I'm done with the eval I'll leave a post with my discoveries.

Thanks again,

Nate
          Hope this helps.

Nate

Comment

Please do.
            I'll face the same dilemma in few months.

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
            In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -
            «««««

Comment

I have dropped tape backups in favour of offsite backups.

I have my own solution using Ahsay software, and there are plenty of commercial companies out there with good rates.

I think with the number of servers you're looking at, from a licensing and admin point of view, it would be worth considering.
              Neil Mac

Comment

Re: Symantec Netbackup VS BackupExec

Hi all,

Sorry about the late response on my findings from Symantec. It’s been very hectic around here.

Well after 1 week on online Webinars dealing with Symantec Net Backup and Backup Exec it is still a tossup on which is better. Below are some of the comparisons I found while talking with Symantec.

How the systems work (Design)

Both solutions work off of a three tier design. Tier one is your Management Server/Scheduling Server. Tier two would be your media servers which do all of the work. Tier three is the agent running on the server being backed up.

System Capability/Compatibility

Net Backup is based off of a Unix based backup system. And is designed more for Database/*nix systems. It will do virtually any type of OS out there as long as the agent is supported.

Backup Exec is based off of Net Backup but pertains more towards the Windows World. It has agents for *nix systems but doesn’t do as good of a job with them. It supports CPS (Continuous Protection Server) for File Servers and Exchange Servers. It also support Granular file recovery with Files, Emails, and Active Directory without requiring the server to be rebooted As for its support with Databases it has some support but don’t remember the details.

Types of Media Servers

One nice thing I did discover is currently only Net Backup has a Unix based media server option. This feature is nice because you can have a high-end server to process the backups and with a minimal Unix install, it has all of that processing power with a very small app running telling it what to do. (Unlike Windows). In Backup Exec, you are currently limited to Windows Only Media Servers

Conclusion

That is just a real quick summary of some of the info I gathered. If you would like to learn more Symantec has weekly Webinars which your Symantec Rep can hook you up with the info for.

As for what solution I will be choosing? Right now I am leaning towards Backup Exec 11d. I was told by a Symantec Engineer that Exec is capable of 40 Servers Easily (This I will Test). Some other reasons are, I am not running any database systems, and the 5 *nix boxes I have are all backed up via a 500 or so line bash script I wrote. Also I would really like to have the ability to do granular file recovery of files, emails, and AD. To CPS Protection is nice too. Not sure how well I will like it with Exchange but if it’s anything like the file CPS I will love it. I just have to wait for the new budget to get the new server

Just about forgot, as for evaluation software, Backup Exec 11d can be downloaded from Symantec’s site. However, to acquire an evaluation of Net Backup, you will need to contact your Symantec Rep. and tell them how you plan to implement it and they will “create a custom evaluation for you” – From Symantec.

Hope this helps in making future decisions, and please remember this is only the tip of the iceberg of the info I was given. So there may be some errors (but I hope not) due to the amount of info and whats been going on here at work.

It will be about 4 months before I can post my findings on CPS for Exchange but I will let you know how it ends up working.

Nate
                Hope this helps.

Nate

Comment

Working...
                X