Auto logoff

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto logoff

I decided to post here instead of anywhere else because this site has the best suggestions and pool of talent anywhere in the tech world. I am in a pickle and wonder who can help.

Please read very carefully...

I need to implement an auto-logoff from a Server 2003 Domain after a specified period of inactivity (idle). The terminal server users are already booted/disconnected after 30 minutes.

I do not want to use logon hours as this will just not work for this environment.

I have read a lot about winexit but am wondering if there is a better way to do it? Preferable by GPO.

Ideas?

Re: Auto logoff

As far as I know there is no way to actually logg a user off without additional software.

You can set the screensave and password protect it via a GPO.

You really need to this as there are many suggestions out there
    The Univurse is still winning!

W2K AD, WSUS, RIS 2003. ISA also AVG Server
    ** If contributors help you, recognise them and give reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

It's not quite clear where are these users logged on (and I read very carefully): locally on the server (not if it's a DC)? To Terminal Server? To other stations in the domain?
      You can try to use shutdown -l, but to be certain of it, I need more details.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

What I mean to do is log any user off of the network at the desktop level after they have been idle after 30 minutes. And/or reboot their PC to make sure that they are completely logged off. I need to completely kick any user off of the network after their PC or TS session has gone idle for 30 minutes.

The reason that I said to read carefully is because I don't want to use the quick fixes that people recommend everywhere else, i.e. logon hours and disconnect, locking the desktop, enforcing screen saver policy. This is a big security concern for the FDIC and I have a few clients who are getting ahead of the ball on this one.

I'm just not sure if it can be done without 3rd party software. How do you monitor someone's network logon activity and implement action based upon the lack of activity?

Comment

There is no problem of doing this for TS users. For the users logged on to their stations, though, I am not aware of any solution.
          Maybe you should give us some more details...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Working...
          X