Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backing up Win2k

Hi folks,

I'm working on this small client company(a law firm) they are runing Win2k with AD and Exchange 2k3 in the same box. They want all the data(AD,system state,IIS,etc) move over the new server(win2k3). I was thinking get the Acronis True Image , wil this work?. I know this is a image of the OS, Im afraid it wont workout good, 'cuz lack of drivers, when I move to the new server.

Man, maybe I should just use teh NTbackup in the box. Just backup System State and the First storage group. Any help or tips I would appreciate.

ken

Re: Backing up Win2k

If the two boxes are not the same hardware, I would not use the cloning method. Given the fact that the server is a "heavy" one, holding both the AD and the mail of the firm, you wouldn't want bluescreens and downtime because of drivers problems.
    I would:
    - install the new server, with latest SP and updates;
    - promote it to being DC;
    - migrate Exchange to it;
    - demote the old server.

The best will be if you can allow few testing days between steps. Of course these actions should be divided into further steps (the AD is 2000 as the moment, you would want to move to 2003, but this needs additional actions and so on).
    An additional advantage is that the migration is not affected by time. You don't have to do it during one night or weekend, so the firm will not suffer from the server being down.
    I cannot help you with the Exchange migration, since I'm not an Exchange guy. But there are a lot of good people here that can help.

I just noticed: AD and IIS on the same server? Please tell me it's an Intranet site...

Added: It must be the early hours, I'm not awake yet. You are moving from Win2000 to Win2003. How can you do this with cloning?
    And take a look at this thread, it's similar.
    And now something personal: Backing up Win2k is not such a good title. You don't want it backed up, but moved/upgraded.
    Last edited by sorinso; 29th January 2007, 05:58. Reason: More questions ...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
      If the two boxes are not the same hardware, I would not use the cloning method. Given the fact that the server is a "heavy" one, holding both the AD and the mail of the firm, you wouldn't want bluescreens and downtime because of drivers problems.
      I would:
      - install the new server, with latest SP and updates;
      - promote it to being DC;
      - migrate Exchange to it;
      - demote the old server.

The best will be if you can allow few testing days between steps. Of course these actions should be divided into further steps (the AD is 2000 as the moment, you would want to move to 2003, but this needs additional actions and so on).
      An additional advantage is that the migration is not affected by time. You don't have to do it during one night or weekend, so the firm will not suffer from the server being down.
      I cannot help you with the Exchange migration, since I'm not an Exchange guy. But there are a lot of good people here that can help.

I just noticed: AD and IIS on the same server? Please tell me it's an Intranet site...

Added: It must be the early hours, I'm not awake yet. You are moving from Win2000 to Win2003. How can you do this with cloning?
      And take a look at this thread, it's similar.
      And now something personal: Backing up Win2k is not such a good title. You don't want it backed up, but moved/upgraded.
      Thanks for the quick reply. Uhhh, yes the IIS is for local intranet only...sorry I shoud be abit clear.

So, all I need is to promote my new server and join the domain and I should have all the user on the AD, correct?

The Exchange part is going be tricky, anyone have any more info on how to move all the user and data to the new Exchange?

tia
      ken

Comment

Originally posted by klnyc View Post
        So, all I need is to promote my new server and join the domain and I should have all the user on the AD, correct?
        That is not what I said. You have to prepare the domain for a Win2003 server, to promote the server, to install on it the GC... a lot of stuff... It doesn't settles with "all I have to do is"...
        Take a look at this thread, it deals with the same subject and have some good resources in there.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Working...
        X