Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scheduling/Executing on all computers in domain?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scheduling/Executing on all computers in domain?

Is there a way to schedule/execute a script on all computers in a 2003 active directory domain?

I know I can add a script to startup/shutdown via the gpo for the domain but I want to actually schedule a script to run on all computers while they are up. I just can't do this via startup/shutdown scripts since a lot of the machines will not reboot for a long time to come.

Since my group policies update fairly frequently and I know some settings can take effect immediately like firewall settings, it must be possible to get the gpo to distribute a job to be carried out by all machines or there must be some other tool or way of doing this.

Re: Scheduling/Executing on all computers in domain?

I think this is one of the most aching issue in the GPO. I didn't find any way to schedule a job with GPO or any other means of central management. And believe me, I tried.
    There is another thread in the GPO forum that deals with it. Take a look there.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

thanks for the idea, I am familiar with psexec and had thought of this. I guess I will have to give it a try in a batch which is quite easy to write, now the question is whether it will work or not trying to run what I want remotely. I anticipate problems since all is not always well in the land of pstools.

MICROSOFT. YOU HAVE A LOT OF WORK TO DO ON YOUR OPERATING SYSTEMS!!!!

Comment

I'd like very much to hear how you made it.
        TIA.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

This is quite easy to achieve with a script. You need to query for all computers in the AD and schedule a task on the target computers.
          If you look at Microsoft's script center, you will find examples of how to query for a list of computers and how to schedule a tsk on a remote computer.
          Another option would be to download http://www.jadonex.com/downloads/dec/DECscripts.zip and use domcmd.cmd batch script to schedule the tasks. The command to execute will be schtasks.exe with relevant switches. By default the script uses psexec, but you can change it to directly schedule a remote taks (using schtasks /create /s <computername>)
          Guy Teverovsky
          "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

thanks a lot guyt! I will check out the links and see what I can come up with. Although psexec should be straightforward to do, and I have used it in the past, it is not native to the os and therefore is more useful for me to schedule a script on my computer which then psexecs all other computers, but I think the schtasks you speak of is cleaner and more native so it would be my preferred method...

Comment

Hi, humbletech99.
              I'd be much obliged and forever thankfull if you would post the solution you found on the forum.
              TIA and good luck.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

I will try it as soon as I am back at work, right now I am working on other things. Can't promise it'll be Monday though cos I got a lot of work to do on another server for a new contract and it has to be pen-tested by friday so no time to lose...

Comment

Hi.
                  No hurry, it's not something urgent. Sure not for Monday.
                  And good luck with the server.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
                  X