Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I speed up the access time in NTFS?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I speed up the access time in NTFS?

Hi guys and gals,
    I've got an old Windows Server 2000 on which I've got a couple of files and folders. 87,000+ files and 6,000+ folders. It works great for me, but some of the other computers have a problem accessing it.

For example, if I run CVS update on my computer (600 MB, 3725 files in 525 folders) it takes 7 minutes, on one of the older computers it takes 13 minutes - but on one specific computer (same kind as the other old computer) it takes 30 minutes just to get to the letter D and I'm guessing it'll take something like 3-4 hours for the complete update.

I do not think it's network related, just copying a single large file gives me 6-7MB/s, same as the other ones.

Can it be related to the file system (on the server or on the client)?

All ideas are welcome!

A wise man once said: "Assumption is the mother of all fu*k ups".

Any advice I give is to the best of my knowledge, there is no guarantee what so ever that it will actually work in your particular scenario. I will not accept any responsibility for unexpected consequences, after all - you are taking advice from a complete stranger over the internet. =)

Re: How can I speed up the access time in NTFS?

Have you defragged the drives on both machines???

What are your NIC settings on the client machine?? I would imagine Auto/Full Duplex.

Comment

On the server side:
      Media Type: 100 BASE-TX / 1000 BASE-T
      Current Port Mode: 100 FD
      Current Flow Control: Enabled

On the client side:
      Media Type: 10 BASE-T/100 BASE-TX
      Port Speed: 100Mbps FD

It might be related to fragmentation, but I doubt that it would make such an extreme difference, I mean 7 minutes versus 4 hours!?

There's something fishy here.

client ---TP---> switch ---fiber---> switch ---TP---> server

Might be how the switches are talking to each other.

Any advice I give is to the best of my knowledge, there is no guarantee what so ever that it will actually work in your particular scenario. I will not accept any responsibility for unexpected consequences, after all - you are taking advice from a complete stranger over the internet. =)

Comment

Originally posted by Anders View Post
        On the server side:
        Current Flow Control: Enabled

On the client side:

It might be related to fragmentation, but I doubt that it would make such an extreme difference, I mean 7 minutes versus 4 hours!?

Whats TP??

Are the clients on the same physical network as the server??

Comment

Try swapping network points for an 'old' computer for a 'newer' computer and then test again to eliminate physical/logical network possibility?
          Server 2000 MCP
          Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Just force the speed on your NICS and your Swtich and I think things will improve.
            Best regards,
            Mostafa Itani

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by sanvour View Post
              Just force the speed on your NICS and your Swtich and I think things will improve.
              But his NIC speed is the same on both the client and server.

Doesn't say what the switch is.

Another thing to check is the spanning tree is turned off. Long shot but worth looking into.

Comment

I'll look in to the "tree spanning" potential problem, I recognize the term and I think there is an option for that in our switches. What could be the problem with tree spanning?

Edit: Spanning Tree is disabled on the 4400 and I can't find it on the 3300.

(thanks for all the input guys =)

This is the network setup, to clarify:

Server
                Intel 100Mbit NIC

is connected with Twisted Pair network cable to

3COM SuperStack 4400
                TP IN

FIBER OUT
                Media Type: 1000 BASE-SX
                Port Speed: 1000Mbps FD

which is connected with fiber to

3COM SuperStack 3300
                FIBER IN
                Media Type: 1000 BASE-SX
                Current Port Mode: 1000 FD

TP OUT

is connected with Twisted Pair network cable to

Client computer
                Intel 100Mbit NIC
                Last edited by Anders; 26th January 2007, 13:06.

Comment

spanning-tree was already disabled?
                  If i read what you're problem is, i would suggest that you trying to replace the old problematic machine by an another faster one.

Then see what happens
                  Marcel
                  Technical Consultant
                  Netherlands
                  http://www.phetios.com
                  http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                  "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                  "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Yup, I took another computer and tried CVS update again. It's the client computer that has issues. I cannot say exactly what it is, yet.

I should just have checked that from the beginning, but my (ab)users told me that the problem was occurring on several computers and not just that one that I started to check.

I'll go down there, stretch a few necks for sending me on a wild goose chase and try to isolate the problem. If I could I'd buy you guys a round for wasting your time together with me.

Have a great weekend!

(I'll post back if I can isolate what made the update so extremely slow)

Comment

Glad its sorted Anders. Have a good weekend too!
                      Server 2000 MCP
                      Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

(I'll post back if I can isolate what made the update so extremely slow)
                        Try processexplorer to see what the computer is doing. Also, you can try sniffering its port to see what kind of traffic he is producing.

Edit oh, and thnx for the reputation points I didn't noticed it in first place
                        Marcel
                        Technical Consultant
                        Netherlands
                        http://www.phetios.com
                        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
                        X