• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2003 Server not saving Active Directory

I have the following scenario:
    • Windows 2000 Server as PDC
    • Windows 2003 Server as DC
    • about 50 Windows XP

The problem here is that the Windows 2003 Server is not "saving" the Active Directory data. If the Windows 2000 Server is offline, nothing shows up on the console on the Windows 2003 server, and I have no backup of the Active Directory. But if the Windows 2000 is online, everything shows up in the console in the Windows 2003 Server.

I believe there is some problem with the DNS server on the Windows 2000, because if I do nslookup, no server is found. The primary DNS server is the Windows 2000 and the secondary is the 2003. In both servers the DNS service is running.

What I need here, is only redundancy, since all of the XP computers are in the same place (It's a University Lab). I don't need another server for increased performance.

How do I continue? Is this an error, or am I missing some configuration?
    Last edited by leoh; 25th January 2007, 11:28.

Re: Windows 2003 Server not saving Active Directory

It may not be relevant but is there a reason you've not integrated your DNS with AD?

Is the TCP/IP configuration correct for both servers, specifically with regards to DNS (they should be pointing at themselves).

Comment

Originally posted by Mouse View Post
      It may not be relevant but is there a reason you've not integrated your DNS with AD?
      What do you mean by "integrated"? I am using the DNS service that comes with windows server.

Is the TCP/IP configuration correct for both servers, specifically with regards to DNS (they should be pointing at themselves).
      I think it's correct. Both servers have the same primary and secondary DNS servers configured. The Windows 2000 is the primary DNS server, and the secondary is the 2003 server.
      Each server has a different IP in the same range (172.24.10.1 and 172.24.10.2).

Comment

What is meant by AD and DNS, is that you will be having an Active Directory Integrated Zone.

Can you see the A reconds on the 2003 inside the primary zone of the DNS on the 2000 server? What about SRV records?

Are you sure both DNS are updated? That is the secondary zone is getting the update from the Primary zone?
        Best regards,
        Mostafa Itani

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Apologies Leoh, generally with regards to 2000/2003 domains people tend not to use Primary and Secondary servers, when choosing to integrate your DNS with Active Directory each Domain Controller holds an editable copy of the DNS database, basically a performance boost with redundancy.

The DNS settings for server 172.24.10.1, the primary DNS should be 172.24.10.1
          The DNS settings for server 172.24.10.2, the primary DNS should be 172.24.10.2
          Pointing to themselves for name resolution.

EDIT: Sorry late post :-/ going on from what sanvour said check that the A (host) records are correct aswell as the NS (name server) records. Research integrating your DNS here http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...d/tnti-35.mspx
          Last edited by Mouse; 25th January 2007, 11:53.

Comment

Originally posted by sanvour View Post
            What is meant by AD and DNS, is that you will be having an Active Directory Integrated Zone.
            No idea if I have that. How do I find out?

Can you see the A reconds on the 2003 inside the primary zone of the DNS on the 2000 server? What about SRV records?
            I don't have anything called like that on the DNS console. May be it's called different, all of my windows are in spanish. Anyway, how do I get to check that?

Are you sure both DNS are updated? That is the secondary zone is getting the update from the Primary zone?
            Same as before. How do I check that?

The DNS settings for server 172.24.10.1, the primary DNS should be 172.24.10.1
            The DNS settings for server 172.24.10.2, the primary DNS should be 172.24.10.2
            Done.

Comment

Does this mean that the DNS is integrated?

Windows 2000:

Windows 2003:

Comment

Anyone?
                How should I continue? What else should I check, and how?

Comment

Did you run adprep??

What is your DNS set to on the 2003 server??

Is the 2003 server setup as a Global Catalog server??

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                    Did you run adprep??
                    Yes, I did, without any problems. I can see perfectly all of the objects of the active directory (users, computers, etc) on the console on the Windows 2003 Server. I think if that had failed, I wouldn't have been able to do that.

What is your DNS set to on the 2003 server??
                    What do you mean by that? The DNS service is running, and the primary DNS is itself (172.24.10.2) and the secondary is the 2000 server (172.24.10.1).

Is the 2003 server setup as a Global Catalog server??
                    No, I think the global catalog server is the 2000 Server. Is that wrong?

Comment

From what i can gather from your posts if your 2000 server goes down your clients cannot get connected to the network??

You need to make yoru 2003 server a Global Ctalog to allow it to service logons. Do you also have a split DHP setup?? You can configure this how you like but the usual is 80/20.

NSLOOKUP problem. Do you have a PTR record in your reverse lookup zone for both your servers??

Comment

Originally posted by leoh View Post
                        Anyone?
                        How should I continue? What else should I check, and how?
                        Silly question but you are sure BOTH are domain controllers? If you right click (in active directory users and computers) on your domain name and select 'connect to domain controller' do they both show in the list?
                        Server 2000 MCP
                        Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

From what i can gather from your posts if your 2000 server goes down your clients cannot get connected to the network??
                          That's right. They can't login if the 2000 server is offline.

You need to make yoru 2003 server a Global Ctalog to allow it to service logons.
                          But if I make the 2003 server a global catalog, then what happens if it goes offline?
                          Will the 2000 Server still have an updated copy of the Active Directory so that the users can still login? What I'm looking for here is redundancy, not performance.

Do you also have a split DHP setup?? You can configure this how you like but the usual is 80/20.
                          No idea what you are talking about. What is a split DHP setup? What do you mean by "80/20"?

NSLOOKUP problem. Do you have a PTR record in your reverse lookup zone for both your servers??
                          I don't know. Where do I check that?
                          Anyway, when the 2003 Server didn't exist, the same problem existed. The same situation on every XP and the 2000 server itself.

Originally posted by tonyyeb View Post
                          Silly question but you are sure BOTH are domain controllers? If you right click (in active directory users and computers) on your domain name and select 'connect to domain controller' do they both show in the list?
                          Yes, both show up.

Comment

Originally posted by leoh View Post
                            That's right. They can't login if the 2000 server is offline.

But if I make the 2003 server a global catalog, then what happens if it goes offline?
                            Will the 2000 Server still have an updated copy of the Active Directory so that the users can still login? What I'm looking for here is redundancy, not performance.

No idea what you are talking about. What is a split DHP setup? What do you mean by "80/20"?

I don't know. Where do I check that?
                            Anyway, when the 2003 Server didn't exist, the same problem existed. The same situation on every XP and the 2000 server itself.

Yes, both show up.
                            OK.

Nothing will happen if the server goes offline. If both servers are GC's then they will both service requests for logons.

DHCP - More info here

DNS - You need to setup a reverse lookup zone for your ip address. More info here

Comment

OK.

Nothing will happen if the server goes offline. If both servers are GC's then they will both service requests for logons.
                              Then how do I make them both GC's?

DHCP - More info here
                              Why do I need DHCP? I have all fixed IPs. I only need redundancy to be able to login.
                              Besides, DHCP servers are not allowed on the university network. I don't know why, I think because of security, but the network admins told me not to use DHCP.

DNS - You need to setup a reverse lookup zone for your ip address. More info here
                              Done. Not getting the DNS error anymore.

Comment

Working...
                              X