No announcement yet.

best way to Separate Exchange and Active Directory installed on a single Box

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best way to Separate Exchange and Active Directory installed on a single Box

Prior to me joining my current firm, an IT consultant have setup their Exchange server together with Active Directory on a single server hardware. I know Microsoft does not support this kind of setup.

I am planning to separate the two.

the current setup of my network is. I have two Domain Controllers (DC) both windows 2003.
    the first DC 1 is running DHCP, DNS, and Active directory of course.
    the second DC 2 is running ISA, MS Exchange and Active directory.

I am thinking, that I would do the following

1: Demote DC 2, and let the box be used as by Exchange and ISA etc
    2: on a new box setup Active directory.

Is there any important issues that I should be aware of?
    I would like to know if theres a best way to approach this ?

please advise

thanks

diditak

Re: best way to Separate Exchange and Active Directory installed on a single Box

There are a few ways to do it, but I would say the decision depends on what service will be left on what hardware.

You say you can buy a new server, if so it's more than likely going to be higher spec than the current one so maybe best to install exchange and move mailboxes.

If they are pretty similar (hence no performance improvement), then AD will probably be the easiest to move, although bear in mind the FSMO role holders etc etc.

While you are moving AD your GC will be getting hit by exchange along with everything else.

Topper.
    * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

Re: best way to Separate Exchange and Active Directory installed on a single Box

IIRC, while installing Exchange on a DC will work but just isnt recommended, REMOVING AD is a definite no-no

Tom
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by diditak View Post
        Prior to me joining my current firm, an IT consultant have setup their Exchange server together with Active Directory on a single server hardware. I know Microsoft does not support this kind of setup.
        Not correct. Microsoft do not recommend this setup, there is nothing about them not supporting it.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
        X