Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to choose ???

i have two cd\s

one for windows 2003 with four types server , web . etc .....
    the other for windows vista

can you help me choosing the best for surfing the web faster

P,S
    uptodate hardware ... every this is new

thanks

Re: what to choose ???

Is this going to be your home computer? If so, go with Windows XP or Windows Vista.

If this is going to be a server... well than you need to provide MUCH more information as to how you are going to use this operating system than just "surfing the web".

Oh and BTW, they all "surf the web" at the same speed, as the limitation is what else you're using your computer for while you surf, your internet speed, the server hosting the web page's speed, and the internet traffic at the time.
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

If you don't know the difference then stick with Vista or maybe even a MAC.

And I have a hunch you may want to contact these guys.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/def...displaylang=en
      * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

Damn, from the thread title, I thought this was about ice cream flavours.

As per the Posting Rules, please give your thread an appropriate topic title so we know what it is about before deciding what flavour I really wanted. Thanks.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by topper View Post
          If you don't know the difference then stick with Vista or maybe even a MAC.

And I have a hunch you may want to contact these guys.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/def...displaylang=en
          I completely missed the "two cd\s" bit.

Amebaid:

Unless you have an appropriate MSDN subscription (in which case, I'd expect you to know which OS to use), I would be very interested in the story you tell on how you have so many OS choices.

Also, if you have said MSDN subscription, read the EULA carefully. The subscription is for test and development, not day-to-day personal / corporate use.
          Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Amebaid View Post
            i have two cd\s

P,S

thanks

I smell something very dodgy going on here. Have you really bought a licensed copy of Windows Server 2003 just to surf the web?
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
              I smell something very dodgy going on here. Have you really bought a licensed copy of Windows Server 2003 just to surf the web?
              Funnily enough i was thinking that the OP had a 4in1 AIO cd with Server 2003 on it.

I really think this should be closed is it seems to be talking about pirated software.

BTW Vista does not fit on a CD it is DVD based.

Reporting to forum MODs for attention.

Comment

i have two cd\s

P,S

thanks

Amebaid, if you can tell us how you came across this software wecan help you with your question. If you do not or are unable to provide a reasonable explanation then your membership of this site could be in jeapardy. Piracy shall not be condoned on this site in any shape or form. Your posession of this software needs to be cleared up now. My apologies in advance if you have them legally.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

well why is the attack ??

why assuming that any one have a copy of some operating system

my be it's the ruls of the forum here which i'm new to it ...

first of all my win 2003 server cd is evaluation so i think it's quite legal

and about the vista [[[[[[dvd]]]]]] i borrowed it from afrien of mine who i think purchased it from microsoft

so i don't see my self as pirate or theif if was so how couldn't i decide what OS to use

and about the thread title .. that is really my mistake coz i was on a hurry and i didn't even think to read the forum rules

any way .. the vista dvd was some how requiring more RAM than i have
                  so i installed the 2003

thanks for your support

Comment

well why is the attack ??

why assuming that any one have a copy of some operating system

my be it's the ruls of the forum here which i'm new to it ...

first of all my win 2003 server cd is evaluation so i think it's quite legal

and about the vista [[[[[[dvd]]]]]] i borrowed it from afrien of mine who i think purchased it from microsoft

so i don't see my self as pirate or theif if was so how couldn't i decide what OS to use

and about the thread title .. that is really my mistake coz i was on a hurry and i didn't even think to read the forum rules

any way .. the vista dvd was some how requiring more RAM than i have
                    so i installed the 2003

thanks for your support
                    There was no attack on you. It is part of the forum rules that pirated software is not allowed and will not be tolerated.

You never mentioned that you had an evaluation version of Server 2003 and then you also mentioned you had 1 CD with 4 types of the OS. This can be done but is generally done by pirates.

Your Vista DVD that you "borrowed" from your friend constitues piracy i'm afraid. To legally install vists you must first purchase it, unless of course it is a beta or eval (which i'm not aware are available).

Ohh and Vista is very memory hungry and requires a minimum of 512MB to be installed.

For surfing the web i would advise that you get a client OS, Windows 2000, XP, Vista, as without server hardening you are leaving yourself wide open to attack.

Comment

Vista requires a minimum of 512Mb as wullie said but I would not dream of running it with less than 2Gb.

Tom
                      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

ok no problem .. i know now that vista needs more memo than i have so i think i'll stick with linux for a while as the eval period of win 2003 is almost finished

Comment

I could be wrong on this, but I think you can activate your Windows Server 2003 Evaluation copy 4 times. It would mean totally reinstalling it and Activating it each time. Server 2003 is not a good program to surf the web. Try Windows 98, much better.
                          1 1 was a racehorse.
                          2 2 was 1 2.
                          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

thanks but i've allready uninstalled win 2003 server i think it's not for normal user like me

when ever i try to install any application it tells me that i'm trying t install to server OS

and i can't proceed

so kubuntu rules ..........

cheers

Comment

thanks but i've allready uninstalled win 2003 server i think it's not for normal user like me

when ever i try to install any application it tells me that i'm trying t install to server OS

and i can't proceed

so kubuntu rules ..........

cheers
                              I'm more of a GNOME, and thus would be an Ubuntu, fan. LINUX is nice in that it's essentially free but it still has a long way to go on the desktop side. Vista and its insane approach to DRM (Digital rights management) may be Microsoft's undoing if the LINUX crowd can package something my Mother-in-law can use without massive support from me.

You, Amebaid, are not a "normal user" in that you can install an OS or two.

I like LINUX a lot, especially to run Oracle 10g and grid (RAC) configurations. For day-to-day desktop use, I'm still w/ Team Microsoft.
                              Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
                              X