No announcement yet.

Cannot modify "Shutdown System" Under Group Policy

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot modify "Shutdown System" Under Group Policy

I have Win2k3 Server that is in need to disable the shutdown option for everyone except one user that I have created. Now when I go into to the Group Policy Object Editor by

Start > Run > gpedit.msc > Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > User Rights Assignments > Shutdown the system.

Now there are few groups in there at the start that allows people to shutdown I want to remove it all and add just one user. But on the bottom it tells me that

"This settings is not compatible with computers running Windows 2000 Service Pack 1 or earlier. Apply Group Policy objects containing this setting only to computers running a later version of the operating system"

Now like I said at tht top I do have Windows 2003 Server and it's actually patched with Service Pack 1.

Would anyone know any solution to this?

Re: Cannot modify "Shutdown System" Under Group Policy

This is a general info message - the GP editor can be used to administer other computer remotely that can be W2K too, hence the warning.
    Guy Teverovsky
    "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

I have some reservations regarding what you are trying to do:
      First, are you in an AD environment? If so, you should consider creating a GPO for this matter. It is a good practice to manage servers, computers, users and groups through centralized management, and not each object alone.
      Second, how important is this setting for you? By default, this privilege is given to Administrators, Power Users and Backup Operators. If you deny this option from Administrators, for instance, can they take it back? I think so, cannot find any way to deny that ( I didn't, any way).
      Third, if you give such a high-rank privilege to only one user, what will you do in a case of a failure? The user account can lock out, somebody can delete it or disable it. Always have a backup option.
      Please consider this.
      Good luck. And keep us posted.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

I agree totally with Sorin, always have a backup option.
        Best regards,
        Mostafa Itani

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **