Can't run .exe files on 2003 servers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't run .exe files on 2003 servers

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious here but I'm stumped. Downloaded .exe files won't run on 2003 Server.

Some .exe files work fine (i.e. calc.exe and anything "built-in").

I'm trying to set up a WSUS/MOM 2005 server. I can't double click on any of the downloaded .exe files without getting the following...

Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

I get the same message as soon as I right click and select "Run as".
    NTFS permissions are fine (I'm domain admin).
    Wierdly, if I click on "Open" on the download complete dialogue box it runs fine.
    Makes no difference if the files are local or on a network drive.
    This is a new domain (2 months old) so this has probably always been like this.
    The server I'm running is a new build (Server 2003 R2).
    The problem also occurs on the DC which is also 2003 so I'm thinking a group policy problem?

Any ideas?

UPDATE: Can't run .exe files on 2003 servers

The problem seems to be with self extracting .exe's.

If I extract them manually first they work ok....

Comment

Re: Can't run .exe files on 2003 servers

Group Policies do sound likely, could you take a quick read of this KB http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324036 and let us know if any of the restrictions are in place on your Group Policy objects, if not we start looking elsewhere

Edit: Dam another late post :-/ sorry chief, check out the KB and i'll keep thinking

Comment

Nope no Software Restriction Pols defined....

Comment

There are some sites on the Net talking about that that you should uninstall Internet Explorer Enhanced Security on 2003 Server. Especially when you are talking about files downloaded from the Net.
          Give it a try and keep us posted.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Bingo. Uninstall the Internet Explorer Enhanced Security via Control Panel/add Remove Programs/Windows Components and the self exctractors now exctract.

Many Thanks Sorinso!

Comment

I am glad you solved the problem.
              Thank you for calling Petri.co.il/forums

Note to self: YES !! You did your good deed today, can go home now

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
              -

Comment

Might help others as I could not run a particular .exe file.

I copied the file from my PC to the server and the security policy blocked the file from running.

Steps:
                -go to properties of the .exe file
                -under General tab click on "Unblock" button next to "Security:This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer"
                -"Unblock" button only visible if it has been blocked

Comment

Thanks, RSB, but I hope nearly 10 years on from the original thread, the OP might have come up with a solution
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

@ RS8

Originally posted by RS8 View Post
                    Might help others as I could not run a particular .exe file.

I copied the file from my PC to the server and the security policy blocked the file from running.

Steps:
                    -go to properties of the .exe file
                    -under General tab click on "Unblock" button next to "Security:This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer"
                    -"Unblock" button only visible if it has been blocked
                    Your suggestion was exactly what I needed to resolve my issue. Thanks for the post!

Comment

Working...
                    X