No announcement yet.

Autologin to console (not upon restart)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autologin to console (not upon restart)

Hi there,

I would ocasionally like to automatically logoff and re-login users to system console (Windows 2003 Server).

I found out psshutdown.exe -o command to logoff, and still missing option how to login user back to console.

Note: this is not related to system restart (I am already using AdminAutoLogin feature)

Note2: background for my particular request is actually hanging Outlook on such sessions (Outlook must be always started due to client rules execution). Appropriate workaround for me would be as well to close and restart that particular user Outlook on such console sessions.

Any idea?

Thank you.

Re: Autologin to console (not upon restart)

Hi, rok117.
    You're talking about
    users
    and
    system console
    in the same sentence.
    AFAIR, only one user can login to a system's console.
    Are you working with Exchange? Have you tried server-side rules?
    I think you should give some more background info, so we'll have a better picture...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

A user has to be physically present to log in to a console session; I do not know of any command you could use to automate a log off/log on cycle. HOWEVER - I would not advise it anyway; what if the user has stepped away from their desk and locked the screen? Your script logs them off, then back on again, and the console session to a server is open and unmanned...

I would automate the log-off and explain to the user that they must log on again.

Maybe you could use "NET SEND" to send the user a message - "You will be automatically logged off and will need to log back on to continue working. This will occur at <time>."

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Hi,

Thank you for your posts, so there is no way to automate user log-in to console at the specified time...

Another solution would be to restart OUTLOOK.EXE from time to time.

I will have to write a Perl script to kill OUTLOOK.EXE and restart it.

Bye.

Comment

Originally posted by rok117 View Post
          Hi,

Thank you for your posts, so there is no way to automate user log-in to console at the specified time...

Another solution would be to restart OUTLOOK.EXE from time to time.

I will have to write a Perl script to kill OUTLOOK.EXE and restart it.

Bye.
          Or you could use "taskkill /im outlook.exe" and schedule it in good ol' Scheduled Tasks. I'd use a CMD file w/ an echo, a sleep n, and then taskkill so I could stop the CMD if I was busy in Outlook at that time.
          Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
          X