OFFERING Remote Assitance FROM a Windows 2003 Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OFFERING Remote Assitance FROM a Windows 2003 Server

I have searched the forums, Google Groups, Search Exchange and Microsoft all to no avail. I am trying to figure out how to OFFER remote assistance from a Windows 2003 Server. This is easy from a Windows XP Pro workstation and I can ACCEPT assistance from a Windows 2003 Server. But, I am at a loss for figuring out how to OFFER assistance from a Windows 2003 Server.

This might be a security limitation by design but I can't find documentation indicating either way!

Any help is appreciated.

Chad

Re: OFFERING Remote Assitance FROM a Windows 2003 Server

http://www.vladville.com/2006/04/nea...ssistance.html in a different context but it works in a server environment to XP NOT Vista.
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

If no one answers with a way, you can always use NetMeeting or something similar to accomplish this. Also look at Carbon Copy / PC Duo / ??? where someone can command the console remotely while someone is able to interact at the console.
      Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

© 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

The thing is, I could use VNC but the Remote Assistance is built in and it works really well across a LAN for my other clients. There is no issue from a XP Workstation, just when trying to provide the assistance from a 2003 server.

Comment

There is the same remote assistance crappauge on W2K3 as WXP:

Control Panel\System\Remote\Remote Assistance

Have you played with this?
          Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

© 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Same as from Windows XP by command-line;
            Code:
            "%programfiles%\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" "hcp://CN=Microsoft%20Corporation,L=Redmond,S=Washington,C=US/Remote%20Assistance/Escalation/Unsolicited/Unsolicitedrcui.htm"
            Or
            open 'Help and support Center'
            Support Tasks -> Tools
            [+]"Help and Support Center Tools"
            --> Offer remote Assistance

\Rem

my editing was to late ! you found it
            Last edited by Rems; 22nd January 2007, 23:56.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
            and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

I found it!!! Geez, I was following this page by Petri http://www.petri.com/offer_remote_as...windows_xp.htm and I could not find it!! So I dug a little deeper in the Windows Help and finally found it!

Start --> Help and Support
              Support Tasks --> Tools
              Tools in the left --> Help and Support Center Tools
              Under Help and Support Center Tols --> Offer Remote Assistance

Easy to find on Windows XP and a little bit deeper on Windows 2003 Server.

Thanks for the help guys!!!

Chad

Comment

Killer post REMS, even better!

I can put this link on the desktop of all my servers!

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by Rems View Post
                  Same as from Windows XP by command-line;
                  Code:
                  "%programfiles%\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" "hcp://CN=Microsoft%20Corporation,L=Redmond,S=Washington,C=US/Remote%20Assistance/Escalation/Unsolicited/Unsolicitedrcui.htm"
                  Same as in the link I gave!
                  TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                  http://www.wintra.co.il/
                  sigpic
                  Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

glad I could help.

ofcause you know that to use offer remote assistant that account have to be a members of the local administrators group on the remote computer. That is why I prefer to use this link my self:
                    Code:
                    %SystemRoot%\system32\runas.exe /user:domain\AssistAdmin "%programfiles%\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE \"hcp://CN=Microsoft%20Corporation,L=Redmond,S=Washington,C=US/Remote%20Assistance/Escalation/Unsolicited/Unsolicitedrcui.htm\""
                    And use a GPO -to activate RA; -to set the firewall; and -to add AssistAdmin as a member of the local administrators group on all the clients.
                    But instead of that special link, you can also rightclick on the the link and simply choose Run As...

by the way;
                    I found the url of that page by 'rightclicking -> properies' on the remoteassistend panel in Help and support. Then open that page it by using IE.
                    I found the page in Help and Support by a search to "remote assistant".

Steven you are right, i didnt check the link sorry.
                    ~now I remember there was another topic before also about offering remote access
                    http://forums.petri.com/showthread.p...ote+assistance

\Rem
                    Last edited by Rems; 23rd January 2007, 00:46.

Comment

A question for you...how do you leverage a GPO to add a domain user the member of a local administrator group? I have only been able to do with with a batch file and the "NET" command.

Want to share?

Comment

Originally posted by cmarkley View Post
                        A question for you...how do you leverage a GPO to add a domain user the member of a local administrator group? I have only been able to do with with a batch file and the "NET" command.

Want to share?
                        Sounds like new and separate issue. I'd suggest a new post. Find an appropriate forum and have a go.
                        Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Rick
                          I'd suggest a new post.
                          how about an old post ;
                          http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=12489

\Rem

Comment

Originally posted by Rems View Post
                            Better yet or Better still -- I believe they have the same (and intended) meaning.
                            Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Working...
                            X