X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Watson32 on Win 2k Server

Hi Guys,

i have a Win2k Server, SP4.
    There is some reason that the LOG file is getting BIGGER and BIGGER every day because some process is failing.
    The location of the log file is :
    c:\Documents and Settings\All users\Documents\DrWatson\drwtsn32.log
    Anyone know more about this dr. watson thingy and about how to see and catch the process? nothing on event viewer.

Thanks, Retaliator.
    Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA
    Computer Science Graduate

Re: Dr. Watson32 on Win 2k Server

I do not think you need Dr. Waston, you just need to check the logs carefully, and from take it from there, no?
    Best regards,
    Mostafa Itani

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Retaliator, did you d?
      Some links related to Dr. Watson:
      -http://support.microsoft.com/kb/246084
      - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308538
      As sanvour said, check what is not working and deal with it. Can you post more data?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

See

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308538

for a description and

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188296

if you decide to disable it.
        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

I want to know what process is causing the log to grow up.
          i don't know what process is failing, only written Thread number and not process.

Retaliator
          Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA

Comment

If the LOG file isn't giving you a clue then you'll need to analyze the DMP file that is normally here:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson\USER.DMP

If not, run DRWTSN32.EXE (Start\Run...) and see where the "Crash Dump" is going. If you don't see a DMP file and that location, check the "Creat Crash Dump File" box, click "OK" and wait till you get the DMP file.

With crash dump in hand, you'll need to install Debugging Tools for Windows 32-bit Version:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtoo...nstallx86.mspx

or 64-bit:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtoo...tall64bit.mspx

Now to make sense of this (or BSOD dumps: %SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP, %SystemRoot%\MiniDump\Mini*.DMP files), you need to get this really neat tool from WindowsBBS that runs the MS Tools and produces a relatively "understandable" log file :

http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread...t=debugwiz.zip

I have not had to go past this tool in my DMP file debugging. Should you need more ideas, here's a simple guide to using WinDbg from the MS Tools on USER.DMP files:

http://thelazyadmin.com/index.php?/a...th-WinDBG.html

Here is an "understandable" article on how to use the MS Tools for BSOD dumps (should give you some more insight in how to use the tools should the prev. two links not do the job)

http://www.networkworld.com/news/200...sh.html?page=1

Good luck.
            Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Hi, Retaliator.
              Another thing I would do is to check that if the contents of the log is all the history or something new. Run drwtsn32.exe from the command line in your server, and see if the Append to Existing Log File checkbox is not checked (see the attached screenshot). You can see there also what information is stored in the log. I would move the existing log to another location and look after the new log. You might discover that the situation is not that bad, and what you see in the old log is output of few years.
              If you need additional info about the DRWTSN32 tool, see Microsoft's article.
              Good luck and keep us posted.
              Last edited by sorinso; 9th November 2007, 21:08.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
              -

Comment

Sorin,
                the screen shot is exactly what i see when i enter drwtsn32.exe

Retaliator
                Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA

Comment

Cool. These are the defaults...
                  Uncheck the Append..., move the existing log to another location and watch it for few days. See what's going on. Maybe the situation isn't that bad as you think.
                  If it is, see Rick's tools. They should help you solve the problem...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

I did this right now, i will inform ya all next week

Retaliator
                    Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA

Comment

Sorin, still growing up.

Rick, i have tried all you wrote, and i get
                      Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 6.6.0007.5
                      Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Loading Dump File [D:\user.dmp]
                      User Dump File: Only application data is available

Windows 2000 Version 2195 UP Free x86 compatible
                      Product: Server
                      Debug session time: Thu Feb 1 17:09:59.687 2007 (GMT+2)
                      System Uptime: 117 days 5:01:25.437
                      Process Uptime: not available
                      Symbol search path is: SRV*c:\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
                      Executable search path is:
                      (a2c.d4c): Access violation - code c0000005 (!!! second chance !!!)
                      eax=77f81c66 ebx=00175fb0 ecx=00000034 edx=00000000 esi=00176000 edi=0014818c
                      eip=77f81c85 esp=0012f5f4 ebp=0012f690 iopl=0 nv up ei pl nz na po nc
                      cs=001b ss=0023 ds=0023 es=0023 fs=0038 gs=0000 efl=00000202
                      ntdll!RtlMoveMemory+0x1b:
                      77f81c85 f3a5 rep movs dword ptr es:[edi],dword ptr [esi] es:0023:0014818c=00000000 ds:0023:00176000=????????

from the Windbg tool.
                      Retaliator
                      Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA

Comment

You get this from WinDbg?

What did the "DebugWiz Minidump Analyzer" (from debugwiz.zip) give you?
                        Cheers,

Rick

Comment

debugwiz added a file on c:\

Opened log file 'c:\debuglog.txt'

Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 6.6.0007.5
                          Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Loading Dump File [D:\user.dmp]
                          User Dump File: Only application data is available

Windows 2000 Version 2195 UP Free x86 compatible
                          Product: Server
                          Debug session time: Thu Feb 1 17:09:59.687 2007 (GMT+2)
                          System Uptime: 117 days 5:01:25.437
                          Process Uptime: not available
                          Symbol search path is: SRV*c:\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
                          Executable search path is: C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS\system32 \drivers
                          (a2c.d4c): Access violation - code c0000005 (!!! second chance !!!)
                          eax=77f81c66 ebx=00175fb0 ecx=00000034 edx=00000000 esi=00176000 edi=0014818c
                          eip=77f81c85 esp=0012f5f4 ebp=0012f690 iopl=0 nv up ei pl nz na po nc
                          cs=001b ss=0023 ds=0023 es=0023 fs=0038 gs=0000 efl=00000202
                          ntdll!RtlMoveMemory+0x1b:
                          77f81c85 f3a5 rep movs dword ptr es:[edi],dword ptr [esi] es:0023:0014818c=00000000 ds:0023:00176000=????????
                          0:000> !analyze -v;r;kv;lmtn;.logclose;q
                          *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for basMAGNT V1.0.05.exe
                          ERROR: FindPlugIns 8007007b
                          ************************************************** *****************************
                          * Exception Analysis *
                          ************************************************** *****************************

************************************************** ***********************
                          *** Your debugger is not using the correct symbols ***
                          *** In order for this command to work properly, your symbol path ***
                          *** must point to .pdb files that have full type information. ***
                          *** Certain .pdb files (such as the public OS symbols) do not ***
                          *** contain the required information. Contact the group that ***
                          *** provided you with these symbols if you need this command to ***
                          *** work. ***
                          *** Type referenced: ntdll!_PEB ***
                          ************************************************** ***********************
                          Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA

Comment

Hi, Retaliator.
                            From what I read in NetworkWorld article Rick posted, sounds like the debug did not downloaded the symbols. Check that the C:\Symbols folder exists and is not empty.
                            I have similar problems too, I'm working on them

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

I am trying .. it's not downloaded
                              Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA

Comment

Working...
                              X