Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• enable sound on windows server 2003

Hello,
    i tried to enable the sound on my windwos server 2003 (standard edition), i saw the message that was posted buy it didn't help. Every time i enter to the "sound and audio devices" i can see the mute button check, if i try to re select him (the mute check box) it return to be check, what i need to do ?
    thank's in advance

Re: enable sound on windows server 2003

Have you checked device manager to ensure you definately have a sound card installed in the server?

Have you ever had sound enabled on the server?

Anthing in the event log (Chances are no but you might as well check it)

Let us know

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

hi,

yes i checked the device manager,everything is ok

It's the first time i try to enalbe the sound.

yaniv

Comment

What's the sound card / on-board sound chip and what driver do you have installed? Transcripted screen shots or the real thing, please. Also, a transcript / screenshot of "Control Panel\Sounds and Audio Devices" -- both the Volume and Audio tabs.
        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

helo rick,
          Please look at the files attach

yaniv
          Attached Files

Comment

First the easy stuff.

Uncheck "Mute", set the volume slider to "High", pick a sound scheme ("Windows XP Default" is always a good choice), and see if "Asterisk" (now w/ a loadspeaker icon to its left) makes a sound when you play it (Windows XP Error.wav)

Let me know how that goes. Next we'll need to look into what the real sound driver should be. What motherboard, server model, sound card model do you have?
            Cheers,

Rick

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Hi,
              The easy stuff no working. Every time i uncheck "Mute" it return to mute immediately after i press "apply" or "ok". i tried to play the sound in all the ways (before i press any APLLY/OK and after, but no sound). Any try to play sound give the error message "Windows cannot play the c:\WINDOWS\Media\Windows XP Error.wav file. It may be damaged or may not be a valid sound file. Replace the file and try again".

What other suggestion you have ?

yaniv

Comment

Can you please any other files?

Sounds like a dodgy sound card driver. Do what rick suggested and try and find an update sound card driver from the manufacturers site.

Michael
                Michael Armstrong
                www.m80arm.co.uk
                MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

Comment

I tried other files, but i had no sound too.
                  I have download the last update for the sound card and nothing happened.
                  I think i miss something basic in the definition.

yaniv

Comment

Roll back the driver.
                    Check that you have the correct drivers. If sound in built on to the motherboards, check that you have the correct Model AND Revision number.
                    Lastly, sound isn't really required for 2003 Server. It is not a good games platform.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

if i'm using RDP to the server 2003, can i have sound although the server is on mute ?

Comment

Originally posted by yberko View Post
                        if i'm using RDP to the server 2003, can i have sound although the server is on mute ?

IIRC the actual dialog says "Bring remote computer sound to this computer". If the server has no sound / is muted, I suspect you will get nothing locally.

Why on earth would you want sound on a server, anyway?
                        Tom Jones
                        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

OK, now I get what the OP is doing. Microsoft RDP Audio Driver is the driver one gets when coming through an RDP session.

As Ossian suggests, do verify the "Remote Desktop Connection\Options\Local Resources\Remote computer sound" is set to "Bring to this computer" on your XP machine.

If that is the case and still no sound, then I also believe sound is not configured properly on the server itself, when logged on at the physical console, thus it won't work through RDP.

So go to the physical server console and see what you have regarding sound and a valid sound driver. Check all the stuff from my 1st 2 posts at a minimum. No need to change the sound scheme if you see loudspeaker icons and program events have WAV files associated.

We need to get sound working on the physical machine first for it to work through RDP. Don't worry if you have no speakers. If the basics check out, go back and try the RDP connection and see if you can get them to check out (and hear sound) too.

I like sound on my servers if nothing more than for the feedback from the standard list of program events in the default sound scheme. It enhances the "experience".
                          Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Hi rick,
                            I didn't realy understand what you are suggest now.
                            On the physical server console i have no sound, i check all the things you told me before, but still no sound. I tried to use the RDP and to check if i can have sound (and yes i check the "Bring remote computer sound to this computer"... still no sound).

Please advise
                            yaniv

Comment

What Rick says, Yaniv, is that you are trying to solve the sound problem while connected through RDP. This is far from being an acceptable method.
                              Please go to the server's console and check there if you have sound, if the driver is OK and so on. Not from remote.
                              Keep us posted.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                              -

Comment

Working...
                              X