Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mirror 2k3 server

Hi,

My standalone 2k3 TS server (without ADS) is shaping up well.
    All thanks to this forum!!

Next step, I need to mirror my 2k3 server.
    I need to prevent downtime in case of hardware/software crash.

I believe I need to mirror the server and all data, profile, settings, applications etc to another PC so that in case of a crash, the downtime is minimal.

Pls advice the options available [simple and free options are most welcome ]

Thanks again.

cheers,
    Sandeep

Re: Mirror 2k3 server

To completely prevent downtime, look at a mirrored (RAID-1) solution. Hardware is best but Win2K3 has built in software mirroring.
    You will need two disk drives.

With some downtime, look at Ghost/Partition Magic/Acronis solutions to make a backup copy of the server drive. This will cost and will take the server off-line while you make the ghost image (someone's going to correct me on that, I'm sure)

The only zero-cost solution is ASR (updated regularly) but this would take longest to restore in a disaster.

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I believe one of the Acronis options allows you to image while everything is online. I think it uses shadow copies of open files so this may not be a good thing in certain circumstances.

Hardware RAID is oh so much better. If you have a server crash, you have a lot of drive activity while they re-synchronise. On older systems this action can take several hours to complete.

[edit] Ghost 8 (at least) requires a downed Server.
      Last edited by biggles77; 20th January 2007, 10:11.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thank you.
        I wasn't sure about the ghosting -- I know PM has to dismount the system drive, but I'm glad Acronis doesn't.

Agreed rebuilding a mirror will use up resources, but at least the server is still running. Definitely my preferred option

Tom
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I have opened a support ticket with Acronis to check what they have to offer.
          Will keep you posted on their reply.

Sandeep

Comment

Originally posted by sandeep_from View Post
            I have opened a support ticket with Acronis to check what they have to offer.
            Will keep you posted on their reply.

Sandeep
            Why not just check out the product specs on their web site?
            Or use to search for "server imaging software"

I have to say that one of the key tenets of this site is that the original poster should attempt some basic research themselves rather than passing all the work to other people. Your post above leaves me in some doubt about this and you may find it discourages other members from helping you as much as they have.

Tom
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

From my experience, cloning an online system is not 100% perfect. And it doesn't matter if it's Windows or Linux.
              Some weeks ago I cloned a Win2k3 server while online. It has Altiris Deployment Solution installed, that uses MSSQLServer. When I had to recover the server few weeks later after a crash, I found that files from the MSSQLServer's database where not cloned properly. Useless to say that Altiris didn't start. Fortunately, I had the files in an older tape backup, that was done when all the relevant services were down. I just recovered them from there.
              The question is: if you close the services, why not taking the server offline and do it properly?
              You didn't say:
              - what role is the server playing;
              - what disaster scenarios you want to have solutions to. You mentioned hardware/software crash, but how deep? So deep that it will make the server useless?
              Would be nice to have some more data.
              Thank you.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
              -

Comment

Working...
              X